Quasi-Experimental Evaluation of a Student Mentoring Program
This paper presents evidence from a natural-experiment which evaluates the effectiveness of a student mentoring program. The mentoring includes several compulsory, scheduled, faceto- face appointments between a mentor and a student in the first study year. All mentors are graduated and employed by the institution. For the evaluation, I use the fact that the mentoring is only offered to students in an economics and management program, whereas it is not offered to students in an industrial engineering program. However, students in both programs take the same classes and write the same exams in their first study year. I find that the mentoring program significantly decreases the failure rates in the first semester exams.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (0511) 762-5350
Fax: (0511) 762-5665
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-hannover.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maria De Paola & Vincenzo Scoppa & Rosanna Nistic�, 2012.
"Monetary Incentives and Student Achievement in a Depressed Labor Market: Results from a Randomized Experiment,"
Journal of Human Capital,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 6(1), pages 56 - 85.
- Maria De Paola & Vincenzo Scoppa & Rosanna Nisticò, 2010. "Monetary Incentives And Student Achievement In A Depressed Labour Market: Results From A Randomized Experiment," Working Papers 201006, Università della Calabria, Dipartimento di Economia, Statistica e Finanza (Ex Dipartimento di Economia e Statistica).
- Maria De Paola & Rosanna Nistico & Vincenzo Scoppa, 2012. "Monetary Incentives and Student Achievement in a Depressed Labor Market: Results from a Randomized Experiment," Framed Field Experiments 00393, The Field Experiments Website.
- Eric Bettinger & Rachel Baker, 2011. "The Effects of Student Coaching in College: An Evaluation of a Randomized Experiment in Student Mentoring," NBER Working Papers 16881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giorgio Di Pietro, 2014.
"The Short-term Effectiveness of a Remedial Mathematics Course: Evidence from a UK University,"
University of Manchester, vol. 82(3), pages 363-384, 06.
- Di Pietro, Giorgio, 2012. "The Short-Term Effectiveness of a Remedial Mathematics Course: Evidence from a UK University," IZA Discussion Papers 6358, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eric P. Bettinger & Bridget Terry Long, 2009.
"Addressing the Needs of Underprepared Students in Higher Education: Does College Remediation Work?,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 44(3).
- Eric P. Bettinger & Bridget Terry Long, 2005. "Addressing the Needs of Under-Prepared Students in Higher Education: Does College Remediation Work?," NBER Working Papers 11325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:han:dpaper:dp-512. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Heidrich, Christian)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.