Economic Growth Across Chinese Provinces: In Search of Innovation-Driven Gains
In this paper we analyse the impact of R&D on total factor productivity across Chinese provinces. We introduce innovations explicitly into a production function and evaluate their contribution to economic growth in 1993 - 2006. The empirical results highlight the importance and the interaction between local and external research. The evidence indicates that growth in China is not explained simply by factor input accumulation.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Von-Melle-Park 5 D-20146 Hamburg|
Phone: : +49 (0)40 42838-4674
Fax: +49 (0)40 42838-5546
Web page: http://www.uni-hamburg.de/onTEAM/grafik/1223630633/RePec/ham
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laura Bottazzi & Giovanni Peri, "undated".
"Innovation and Spillovers in Regions: Evidence from European Patent Data,"
215, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Bottazzi, Laura & Peri, Giovanni, 2003. "Innovation and spillovers in regions: Evidence from European patent data," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 687-710, August.
- Dani Rodrik, 2006.
"What's So Special about China's Exports?,"
China & World Economy,
Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 14(5), pages 1-19.
- Rodrik, Dani, 2006. "What's So Special about China's Exports?," Working Paper Series rwp06-001, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Rodrik, Dani, 2006. "What's So Special About China's Exports?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5484, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dani Rodrik, 2006. "What's So Special about China's Exports?," NBER Working Papers 11947, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George S Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992.
"The Dynamics Of Productivity In The Telecommunications Equipment Industry,"
92-2, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Olley, G Steven & Pakes, Ariel, 1996. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(6), pages 1263-1297, November.
- G. Steven Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," NBER Working Papers 3977, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter K. Schott & Andrew B. Bernard & Stephen J. Redding, 2005.
"Products and Productivity,"
NBER Working Papers
11575, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Bernard & Stephen Redding & Peter Schott, 2008. "Products and Productivity," Working Papers 08-22, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Stephen Redding & Peter K. Schott, 2005. "Products and productivity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3692, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Stephen Redding & Peter K. Schott, 2005. "Products and Productivity," CEP Discussion Papers dp0699, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Bernard, Andrew B. & Redding, Stephen J. & Schott, Peter K., 2005. "Products and Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 5126, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yifei Sun, 2000. "Spatial Distribution of Patents in China," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(5), pages 441-454.
- Hu, Albert Guangzhou & Jefferson, Gary H., 2004. "Returns to research and development in Chinese industry: Evidence from state-owned enterprises in Beijing," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 86-107, January.
- Doraszelski, Ulrich & Jaumandreu, Jordi, 2008.
"R&D and Productivity: Estimating Production Functions when Productivity is Endogenous,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6636, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Doraszelski, Ulrich & Jaumandreu, Jordi, 2006. "R&D and productivity: Estimating production functions when productivity is endogenous," MPRA Paper 1246, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jaumandreu, Jordi & Doraszelski, Ulrich, 2007. "R&D and productivity : estimating production functions when productivity is endogenous," UC3M Working papers. Economics we078652, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Kuo, Chun-Chien & Yang, Chih-Hai, 2008. "Knowledge capital and spillover on regional economic growth: Evidence from China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 594-604, December.
- Romer, Paul M, 1990.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 71-102, October.
- Alwyn Young, 1995. "The Tyranny of Numbers: Confronting the Statistical Realities of the East Asian Growth Experience," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(3), pages 641-680.
- Nazrul Islam & Erbiao Dai & Hiroshi Sakamoto, 2006. "Role of TFP in China's Growth ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 20(2), pages 127-159, 06.
- Sakamoto, Hiroshi & Islam, Nazrul, 2008. "Convergence across Chinese provinces: An analysis using Markov transition matrix," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 66-79, March.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Wang, Le, 2006.
"Economic Reform, Growth and Convergence in China,"
Departmental Working Papers
0602, Southern Methodist University, Department of Economics.
- Hu, Albert Guangzhou & Jefferson, Gary H., 2009. "A great wall of patents: What is behind China's recent patent explosion?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 57-68, September.
- James Levinsohn & Amil Petrin, 2003. "Estimating Production Functions Using Inputs to Control for Unobservables," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(2), pages 317-341.
- Declan Curran & Michael Funke & Jue Wang, 2007.
"Economic Growth across Space and Time: subprovincial Evidence from Mainland China,"
Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers
20710, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Curran, Declan & Funke, Michael & Wang, Jue, 2007. "Economic growth across space and time : subprovincial evidence from mainland China," BOFIT Discussion Papers 21/2007, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Peter K. Schott, 2006.
"The Relative Sophistication of Chinese Exports,"
NBER Working Papers
12173, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ham:qmwops:20909. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.