Teaching Sustainable Development Issues: An Assessment of the Learning Effectiveness of Gaming
The article aims at assessing the effectiveness of a role-play in addressing two concerns: clarifying the concept of sustainable development and teaching sustainable development issues. The effectiveness is gauged by surveying students to reveal how the game matches a set of "significant learning" criteria defined by Fink (2003). Firstly, our article brings a short overview of how the concept of sustainable development has emerged and spread over time. Secondly, in order to assess the learning potential of our role-play, we examine how it addresses the six components of Fink's taxonomy of "significant learning": (i) foundational knowledge, (ii) application, (iii) integration, (iv) human dimensions, (v) caring and, (vi) learning how to learn. This taxonomy is analysed through a rigorous assessment methodology. The assessment shows that our role-play is highly praised by the players as it not only brings them foundational knowledge, but also allows them to enhance many skills. Thus, the framework of this role-play contributes to educating about sustainable development as well as educating for sustainable development.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00946227|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/ |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans Gremmen & Jan Potters, 1997.
"Assessing the Efficacy of Gaming in Economic Education,"
The Journal of Economic Education,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(4), pages 291-303, December.
- Gremmen, H.J.F.M. & Potters, J.J.M., 1996. "Assessing the Efficacy of Gaming in Economics Education," Discussion Paper 1996-05, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Gremmen, H.J.F.M. & Potters, J.J.M., 1997. "Assessing the efficacy of gaming in economics education," Other publications TiSEM 24235ea7-f57e-4408-ab48-7, School of Economics and Management.
- Daly, Herman E., 1990. "Toward some operational principles of sustainable development," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 1-6, April.
- Gowdy, John & O'Hara, Sabine, 1997. "Weak sustainability and viable technologies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 239-247, September.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-73907 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arnaud Buchs & Odile Blanchard, 2011. "Exploring the Concept of Sustainable Development Through Role-Playing," Post-Print halshs-00630990, HAL.
- Arnaud Buchs & Odile Blanchard, 2011. "Exploring the Concept of Sustainable Development Through Role-Playing," The Journal of Economic Education, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(4), pages 388-394, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00946227. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.