Do remittances dampen the effect of natural disasters on output growth volatility in developing countries?
This paper analyzes the impact of natural disasters on the output growth volatility. Using a large sample of developing countries and mobilizing a dynamic panel data framework, it uncovers a diminishing macroeconomic destabilizing consequence of natural disasters as remittance inflows rise. It appears that the effect of natural disasters disappears for a remittance ratio above 8% of GDP. However, remittances aggravate the destabilizing effects of natural disasters when they exceed 17% of GDP.
|Date of creation:||05 Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00552220|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Louis Combes & Christian Hubert Ebeke, 2011.
"Remittances and Household Consumption Instability in Developing Countries,"
- Combes, Jean-Louis & Ebeke, Christian, 2011. "Remittances and Household Consumption Instability in Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 1076-1089, July.
- Jean-Louis Combes & Christian Hubert Ebeke, 2011. "Remittances and Household Consumption Instability in Developing Countries," Working Papers halshs-00552245, HAL.
- Christian EBEKE & Jean-Louis COMBES, 2010. "Remittances and Household Consumption Instability in Developing Countries," Working Papers 201015, CERDI.
- Julian di Giovanni & Andrei A. Levchenko, 2009.
"Trade Openness and Volatility,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 91(3), pages 558-585, August.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R. & Lundblad, Christian, 2006.
"Growth volatility and financial liberalization,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 370-403, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00552220. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.