Inference on Time-Invariant Variables using Panel Data: A Pre-Test Estimator with an Application to the Returns to Schooling
This paper proposes a new pre-test estimator of panel data models including time invariant variables based upon the Mundlak-Krishnakumar estimator and an "unrestricted” Hausman-Taylor estimator. The paper evaluates the biases of currently used restricted estimators, omitting the average-over-time of at least one endogenous time-varying explanatory variable. Repeated Between, Ordinary Least Squares, Two stage restricted Between and Oaxaca-Geisler estimator, Fixed Effect Vector Decomposition, Generalized least squares may lead to wrong conclusions regarding the statistical significance of the estimated parameter values of time-invariant variables.
|Date of creation:||15 Jan 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal-paris1.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00492039|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hausman, Jerry A & Taylor, William E, 1981.
"Panel Data and Unobservable Individual Effects,"
Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1377-98, November.
- Boumahdi, Rachid & Thomas, Alban, 2006. "Instrument relevance and efficient estimation with panel data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 305-310, November.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Khanti-Akom, Sophon, 1990. "On Efficient Estimation with Panel Data: An Empirical Comparison of Instrumental Variables Estimators," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(4), pages 401-06, Oct.-Dec..
- Breusch, Trevor & Ward, Michael B & Nguyen, Hoa & Kompas, Tom, 2010. "On the fixed-effects vector decomposition," MPRA Paper 21452, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Oaxaca, Ronald L. & Geisler, Iris, 2003. "Fixed effects models with time invariant variables: a theoretical note," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 373-377, September.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Stephan, Scott W, 1983. "Inference in Random Coefficient Panel Data Models: A Correction and Clarification of the Literature," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 24(1), pages 249-54, February.
- Beck, Nathaniel & Katz, Jonathan N., 2001. "Throwing Out the Baby with the Bath Water: A Comment on Green, Kim, and Yoon," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 55(02), pages 487-495, March.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521848053 is not listed on IDEAS
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Bresson, Georges & Pirotte, Alain, 2003. "Fixed effects, random effects or Hausman-Taylor?: A pretest estimator," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 361-369, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521818551 is not listed on IDEAS
- Timo Mitze, 2009. "Endogeneity in Panel Data Models with Time-Varying and Time-Fixed Regressors: To IV or not IV?," Ruhr Economic Papers 0083, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Swamy, P A V B & Arora, S S, 1972. "The Exact Finite Sample Properties of the Estimators of Coefficients in the Error Components Regression Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(2), pages 261-75, March.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1982. "Multivariate regression models for panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 5-46, January.
- Michael C. Lovell, 1963. "Seasonal Adjustment of Economic Time Series and Multiple Regression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 151, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Jaya Krishnakumar, 2003. "Time Invariant Variables and Panel Data Models : A Generalised Frisch-Vaugh Theorem and its Implications," Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva 2004.01, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:psewpa:hal-00492039. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.