Aversions to trust
In this article, we focus on two types of "aversion" which we deem essential aspects of the notion of trust: betrayal aversion (social) and ambiguity aversion (a special case of aversion to uncertainty). Based on trust-games studies in experimental economics and neuroeconomics, our main goal is to assess the conceptual, behavioral and neurobiological connections between betrayal and ambiguity aversions. From a social and individual psychological point of view the bottom line of our trusting behavior could be our general aversion to ambiguous signals. We approach social trust in the terms of a phenomenon based on uncertainty aversion.Specifically, a reduction of the perceived uncertainty of a social interaction tends to build up a trusting climate conducive to trade by decreasing betrayal aversion.We hypothesize that betrayal aversion and ambiguity aversion bear such a negative correlation. Focusing on this potential negative correlation our approach clearly differs from more positive accounts of trust centred on altruism.
|Date of creation:||25 Nov 2012|
|Publication status:||Published in Recherches Economiques de Louvain - Louvain economic review, De Boeck Université, 2012, 78 (3/4), pp.152-173|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://jeannicod.ccsd.cnrs.fr/ijn_00734564|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anne Corcos & François Pannequin & Sacha Bourgeois-gironde, 2012.
"Is trust an ambiguous rather than a risky decision?,"
AccessEcon, vol. 32(3), pages 2255-2266.
- Anne Corcos & François Pannequin & Sacha Bourgeois-Gironde, 2012. "Is trust an ambiguous rather than a risky decision," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) ijn_00734563, HAL.
- Bohnet, Iris & Zeckhauser, Richard, 2003.
"Trust, Risk and Betrayal,"
Working Paper Series
rwp03-041, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Sacha Bourgeois-Gironde & Anne Corcos, 2011.
"Discriminating strategic reciprocity and acquired trust in the repeated trust-game,"
- Sacha Bourgeois-gironde & Anne Corcos, 2011. "Discriminating strategic reciprocity and acquired trust in the repeated trust-game," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(1), pages 177-188.
- Guiso, Luigi & Sapienza, Paola & Zingales, Luigi, 2005.
"Trusting the Stock Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5288, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Schechter, Laura, 2007.
"Traditional trust measurement and the risk confound: An experiment in rural Paraguay,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 272-292, February.
- Laura Schechter, 2005. "Traditional trust measurement and the risk confound: An experiment in rural paraguay," Artefactual Field Experiments 00106, The Field Experiments Website.
- Daniel Houser & Daniel Schunk & Joachim Winter, 2009.
"Distinguishing trust from risk: an anatomy of the investment game,"
IEW - Working Papers
450, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Houser, Daniel & Schunk, Daniel & Winter, Joachim, 2010. "Distinguishing trust from risk: An anatomy of the investment game," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 74(1-2), pages 72-81, May.
- Houser, Daniel & Schunk, Daniel & Winter, Joachim, 2010. "Distinguishing trust from risk: An anatomy of the investment game," Munich Reprints in Economics 19378, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Camerer, Colin & Weber, Martin, 1992. "Recent Developments in Modeling Preferences: Uncertainty and Ambiguity," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 325-70, October.
- Charles A. Holt & Susan K. Laury, 2002. "Risk Aversion and Incentive Effects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1644-1655, December.
- Kanagaretnam, Kiridaran & Mestelman, Stuart & Nainar, Khalid & Shehata, Mohamed, 2009.
"The impact of social value orientation and risk attitudes on trust and reciprocity,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 368-380, June.
- Kiridaran Kanagaretnam & Stuart Mestelman & Khalid Nainar & Mohamed Shehata, 2009. "The Impact of Social Value Orientation and Risk Attitudes on Trust and Reciprocity," Department of Economics Working Papers 2008-06, McMaster University.
- Berg Joyce & Dickhaut John & McCabe Kevin, 1995. "Trust, Reciprocity, and Social History," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 122-142, July.
- repec:hal:journl:ijn_00734563 is not listed on IDEAS
- Daniel Ellsberg, 2000. "Risk, Ambiguity and the Savage Axioms," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7605, David K. Levine.
- Cox, James C., 2004. "How to identify trust and reciprocity," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 260-281, February.
- Eckel, Catherine C. & Wilson, Rick K., 2004. "Is trust a risky decision?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 447-465, December.
- Olsen, Robert A., 2008. "Trust as risk and the foundation of investment value," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2189-2200, December.
- Sujoy Chakravarty & Jaideep Roy, 2009. "Recursive expected utility and the separation of attitudes towards risk and ambiguity: an experimental study," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 66(3), pages 199-228, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:ijn_00734564. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.