Community-based health insurance and social capital: a review
Community-Based Health Insurance (CBHI) is an emerging concept for providing financial protection against the cost of illness and improving access to quality health services for low-income rural households who are excluded from formal insurance. CBHI is currently being provided in some rural areas in developing countries and there is ongoing research about its impact on the well-being of the poor in these areas. However, the success of CBHI revolves around the existence of social capital in the community. This has led researchers to explore the impact of CBHI on the well-being of the poor in rural areas, especially as it relates to social capital. The overall objective of this paper is to review recent developments that address the link between CBHI and social capital. Policy implications are also discussed.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published, Health Economics Review, 2012, 2, 5, 2-5|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00738176|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joel Sobel, 2002. "Can We Trust Social Capital?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(1), pages 139-154, March.
- Dale Whittington, 2002.
"Improving the Performance of Contingent Valuation Studies in Developing Countries,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 22(1), pages 323-367, June.
- Dale Whittington, 2007. "Improving the Performance of Contingent Valuation Studies in Developing Countries," EEPSEA Special and Technical Paper sp200709s1, Economy and Environment Program for Southeast Asia (EEPSEA), revised Sep 2007.
- Zhang, Licheng & Wang, Hong & Wang, Lushang & Hsiao, William, 2006. "Social capital and farmer's willingness-to-join a newly established community-based health insurance in rural China," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 233-242, April.
- Ali Asgary & Ken Willis & Ali Taghvaei & Mojtaba Rafeian, 2004. "Estimating rural households’ willingness to pay for health insurance," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 209-215, September.
- Cameron, Trudy Ann, 1988. "A new paradigm for valuing non-market goods using referendum data: Maximum likelihood estimation by censored logistic regression," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 355-379, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00738176. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.