The link between travel Time Budget and Speed: a Key relationship for urban space-time dynamics
The relationship between travel time budget (TTB) and speed is central to transport economics and allows us to analyze travel behaviour, urban structure and the transport system. Together, this relationship and Zahavi's hypothesis provide a straightforward mechanism that explains the increase in daily travel distances and urban sprawl. However, quantitative analysis (Regression Analysis and Principal Component Analysis) shows that TTBs are only stable at an aggregate level, and the potential of urban speed restriction policies is severely limited at local level.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in AET. European Transport Conference 2004 – ETC 2004, 4 - 6 october 2004, Strasbourg, 2004, London, United Kingdom. AET, 19 p., 2004|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00087451|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schafer, Andreas & Victor, David G., 2000. "The future mobility of the world population," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 171-205, April.
- Kenworthy, Jeffrey R. & Laube, Felix B., 1999. "Patterns of automobile dependence in cities: an international overview of key physical and economic dimensions with some implications for urban policy," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 33(7-8), pages 691-723.
- Gordon, Peter & Kumar, Ajay & Richardson, Harry W., 1989. "The influence of metropolitan spatial structure on commuting time," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 138-151, September.
- David Levinson & Ajay Kumar, 1995. "Temporal Variations on Allocation of Time," Working Papers 199501, University of Minnesota: Nexus Research Group.
- Mokhtarian, Patricia L. & Chen, Cynthia, 2004. "TTB or not TTB, that is the question: a review and analysis of the empirical literature on travel time (and money) budgets," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 38(9-10), pages 643-675.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00087451. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.