The diversity of carmakers\' behaviors vis-a-vis the Corporate Venture Capital
This paper wishes to contribute to the literature about the industrial firms\' motivations to invest in Corporate Venture Capital programs. In a first part, we build a typology on CVC objectives based on a literature review. Then we apply this typology to carmakers’ CVC programs. We study 13 worldwide car manufacturers. Results show a poor interest of car makers vis-à-vis CVC programs. However, the existing programs show that strategic objectives are the most common objectives even if some others objectives are also pursued, like the “relational objective”. Summarizing the results, we identify four typical behaviors of carmakers vis-à-vis CVC programs. We conclude by a discussion about the automotive industry specificity, and we call upon other sectoral studies based on a qualitative method.The diversity of carmakers\' behaviors vis-a-vis the Corporate Venture Capital
|Date of creation:||2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue Léon Duguit, 33608 Pessac Cedex|
Phone: +33 (0)220.127.116.11.75
Fax: +33 (0)18.104.22.168.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Riyanto, Yohanes E. & Schwienbacher, Armin, 2006. "The strategic use of corporate venture financing for securing demand," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(10), pages 2809-2833, October.
- Sahaym, Arvin & Steensma, H. Kevin & Barden, Jeffrey Q., 2010. "The influence of R&D investment on the use of corporate venture capital: An industry-level analysis," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 376-388, July.
- Gans, Joshua S. & Stern, Scott, 2003. "The product market and the market for "ideas": commercialization strategies for technology entrepreneurs," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 333-350, February.
- Masulis, Ronald W. & Nahata, Rajarishi, 2011. "Venture Capital Conflicts of Interest: Evidence from Acquisitions of Venture-Backed Firms," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(02), pages 395-430, April.
- Basu, Sandip & Phelps, Corey & Kotha, Suresh, 2011. "Towards understanding who makes corporate venture capital investments and why," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 153-171, March.
- Lerner, Josh, 2012. "The Architecture of Innovation: The Economics of Creative Organizations," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199639892.
- Jeffrey W. Allen & Gordon M. Phillips, 2000. "Corporate Equity Ownership, Strategic Alliances, and Product Market Relationships," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(6), pages 2791-2815, December.
- Thomas Keil, 2004. "Building External Corporate Venturing Capability," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(5), pages 799-825, 07.
- Vincent Frigant & Bernard Jullien, 2014. "Comment la production modulaire transforme l'industrie automobile," Revue d'économie industrielle, De Boeck Université, vol. 0(1), pages 11-44.
- Winters, Terry E. & Murfin, Donald L., 1988. "Venture capital investing for corporate development objectives," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 207-222.
- Josh Lerner & Joacim Tåg, 2013.
"Institutions and venture capital,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 22(1), pages 153-182, February.
- Lerner, Josh & Tåg, Joacim, 2012. "Institutions and Venture Capital," Working Paper Series 897, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Lerner, Josh & Tåg, Joacim, 2013. "Institutions and Venture Capital," Working Papers 2012:17, Swedish Entrepreneurship Forum.
- Paul A. Gompers, 2002. "Corporations and the financing of innovation: The corporate venturing experience," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q4, pages 1-17.
- Benson, David & Ziedonis, Rosemarie H., 2010. "Corporate venture capital and the returns to acquiring portfolio companies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 98(3), pages 478-499, December.
- Annabelle Gawer & Rebecca Henderson, 2007. "Platform Owner Entry and Innovation in Complementary Markets: Evidence from Intel," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 1-34, 03.
- Annabelle Gawer & Rebecca Henderson, 2005. "Platform Owner Entry and Innovation in Complementary Markets: Evidence from Intel," NBER Working Papers 11852, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markku Maula & Erkko Autio & Gordon Murray, 2005. "Corporate Venture Capitalists and Independent Venture Capitalists: What do they know, Who do They Know and Should Entrepreneurs Care?," Venture Capital, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 3-21, January.
- Sykes, Hollister B., 1990. "Corporate venture capital: Strategies for success," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 37-47, January.
- John Hagedoorn & Danielle Cloodt & Hans van Kranenburg, 2005. "Intellectual property rights and the governance of international R&D partnerships," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 36(2), pages 175-186, March.
- Siegel, Robin & Siegel, Eric & MacMillan, Ian C., 1988. "Corporate venture capitalists: Autonomy, obstacles, and performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 233-247. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grt:wpegrt:2015-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emmanuel Petit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.