Real Estate and Land Values on the shoreline: a transaction-level analysis (In French)
Land use changes generate some conflicts, in particular between agricultural and residential uses in the urbanization context and sprawl phenomena. Coastal zones also produce specific amenities that create conflicts over land-use, increase housing and land values and, associated with and/or substituted to urban amenities modify the structure of the territory.\r\nThis article is aimed at studying the influence of coastal and urban amenities, respectively defined in terms of accessibility to the sea side and to employment center, on prices. We differentiate the analysis between two distinct study areas according to the degree of urban development: the Charente coast that is still highly agricultural, and the Basque coastal area more urbanized. According to these local specificities, we will study with the same hedonic pricing method land use prices in the first case and property prices in the second.\r\nThe main results underline the major influence of littoralisation as structural phenomena in housing and land prices dynamics. We identify two different types of gradient of values in relation to distance to sea side as regards to the residential or agricultural use: a “growth premium” explains the agricultural land price gradient whereas both amenity and accessibility premiums justify the residential gradients.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue Léon Duguit, 33608 Pessac Cedex|
Phone: +33 (0)184.108.40.206.75
Fax: +33 (0)220.127.116.11.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Plantinga, Andrew & Lubowski, Ruben & Stavins, Robert, 2002.
"The Effects of Potential Land Development on Agricultural Land Prices,"
Working Paper Series
rwp02-012, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Plantinga, Andrew J. & Lubowski, Ruben N. & Stavins, Robert N., 2002. "The effects of potential land development on agricultural land prices," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 561-581, November.
- Stavins, Robert & Plantinga, Andrew & Lubowski, Ruben, 2002. "The Effects of Potential Land Development on Agricultural Land Prices," Discussion Papers dp-02-11-, Resources For the Future.
- Aurélien Decamps & Frédéric Gaschet, 2009. "The impact of segregation and neighbourhoud effects on housing prices: a study on the Bordeaux metropolitan area," Post-Print hal-00605444, HAL.
- George R. Parsons & Yangru Wu, 1991. "The Opportunity Cost of Coastal Land-Use Controls: An Empirical Analysis," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 67(3), pages 308-316.
- Matthew Turner, 2003.
"Landscape Preferences and Patterns of Residential Development,"
mturner-03-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Turner, Matthew A., 2005. "Landscape preferences and patterns of residential development," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 19-54, January.
- CAVAILHÈS, Jean & PEETERS, Dominique & SÉKERIS, Evangelos & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"La ville périurbaine,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1601, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- LE GALLO, Julie, 2000. "Econométrie spatiale 1 -Autocorrélation spatiale," LATEC - Document de travail - Economie (1991-2003) 2000-05, LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS UMR 5118, Université de Bourgogne.
- Vuong, Quang H, 1989. "Likelihood Ratio Tests for Model Selection and Non-nested Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 307-33, March.
- Feng Xu & Ron C. Mittelhammer & Paul W. Barkley, 1993. "Measuring the Contributions of Site Characteristics to the Value of Agricultural Land," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(4), pages 356-369.
- Jeffrey Pompe, 2008. "The Effect of a Gated Community on Property and Beach Amenity Valuation," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 84(3), pages 423-433.
- Muriel Travers & Abdelhak Nassiri & Gildas Appéré & François Bonnieux, 2008.
"Évaluation des bénéfices environnementaux par la méthode des prix hédonistes : une application au cas du littoral,"
Economie & Prévision,
La Documentation Française, vol. 0(4), pages 47-62.
- François Bonnieux & Gildas Appéré & Abdelhak Nassiri & Muriel Travers, 2008. "Évaluation des bénéfices environnementaux par la méthode des prix hédonistes : une application au cas du littoral," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 185(4), pages 47-62.
- Philippe Polomé & Silva Marzetti & Anne Van Der Veen, 2005. "Economic and Social Demand for Coastal Protection," Post-Print halshs-00359063, HAL.
- Capozza, Dennis R. & Helsley, Robert W., 1989. "The fundamentals of land prices and urban growth," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 295-306, November.
- Hamilton, Jacqueline M., 2007.
"Coastal landscape and the hedonic price of accommodation,"
Elsevier, vol. 62(3-4), pages 594-602, May.
- Jacqueline M. Hamilton, 2005. "Coastal landscape and the hedonic price of accommodation," Working Papers FNU-91, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Sep 2005.
- Capozza, Dennis & Li, Yuming, 1994. "The Intensity and Timing of Investment: The Case of Land," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 889-904, September.
- Michael T. Bond & Vicky L. Seiler & Michael J. Seiler, 2002. "Residential Real Estate Prices: A Room with a View," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 23(1/2), pages 129-138.
- Andrew J. Plantinga & Douglas J. Miller, 2001. "Agricultural Land Values and the Value of Rights to Future Land Development," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 77(1), pages 56-67.
- Haixiao Huang & Gay Y. Miller & Bruce J. Sherrick & Miguel I. Gómez, 2006. "Factors Influencing Illinois Farmland Values," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(2), pages 458-470.
- Smith, V Kerry & Palmquist, Raymond B, 1994. "Temporal Substitution and the Recreational Value of Coastal Amenities," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 119-26, February.
- Catherine Baumont, 2009.
"Spatial effects of urban public policies on housing values,"
- Catherine Baumont, 2009. "Spatial effects of urban public policies on housing values," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(2), pages 301-326, 06.
- Walsh, Randy, 2007. "Endogenous open space amenities in a locational equilibrium," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 319-344, March.
- Okmyung Bin & Thomas W. Crawford & Jamie B. Kruse & Craig E. Landry, 2008. "Viewscapes and Flood Hazard: Coastal Housing Market Response to Amenities and Risk," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 84(3), pages 434-448.
- Jean CavailhËs & Pierre Wavresky, 2003. "Urban influences on periurban farmland prices," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(3), pages 333-357, September.
- John Faux & Gregory M. Perry, 1999. "Estimating Irrigation Water Value Using Hedonic Price Analysis: A Case Study in Malheur County, Oregon," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 75(3), pages 440-452.
- Elena G. Irwin, 2002. "The Effects of Open Space on Residential Property Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 78(4), pages 465-480.
- Anderson, Soren T. & West, Sarah E., 2006. "Open space, residential property values, and spatial context," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 773-789, November.
- Irwin, Elena G. & Bockstael, Nancy E., 2004. "Land use externalities, open space preservation, and urban sprawl," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 705-725, November.
- Snyder, Stephanie A. & Kilgore, Michael A. & Hudson, Rachel & Donnay, Jacob, 2008. "Influence of purchaser perceptions and intentions on price for forest land parcels: A hedonic pricing approach," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 47-72, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grt:wpegrt:2011-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emmanuel Petit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.