Do federal deficits motivate regional fiscal (im)balances? Evidence from the Spanish case
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Besley, Timothy & Case, Anne, 1995.
"Incumbent Behavior: Vote-Seeking, Tax-Setting, and Yardstick Competition,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(1), pages 25-45, March.
- Timothy Besley & Anne Case, 1992. "Incumbent Behavior: Vote Seeking, Tax Setting and Yardstick Competition," NBER Working Papers 4041, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy Goodspeed, 2002. "Bailouts in a Federation," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 9(4), pages 409-421, August.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, "undated". "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Stephen Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Baskaran, Thushyanthan, 2012.
"Soft budget constraints and strategic interactions in subnational borrowing: Evidence from the German States, 1975–2005,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 114-127.
- Baskaran, Thushyanthan, 2011. "Soft budget constraints and strategic interactions in subnational borrowing: Evidence from the German States, 1975-2005," MPRA Paper 32537, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roland Hodler, 2011.
"Elections and the strategic use of budget deficits,"
Springer, vol. 148(1), pages 149-161, July.
- Roland Hodler, 2009. "Elections and the Strategic Use of Budget Deficits," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 1074, The University of Melbourne.
- Foremny, Dirk, 2014. "Sub-national deficits in European countries: The impact of fiscal rules and tax autonomy," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 86-110.
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2002. "On adjusting the Hodrick-Prescott filter for the frequency of observations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 371-375.
- Salvador Barrios & Pietro Rizza, 2010. "Unexpected changes in tax revenues and the stabilisation function of fiscal policy. Evidence for EU," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 404, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Bande, Roberto & Fernández, Melchor & Montuenga, Víctor, 2008.
"Regional unemployment in Spain: Disparities, business cycle and wage setting,"
Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 885-914, October.
- Roberto Bande & Melchor Fernandez & VÃctor Manuel Montuenga, 2005. "Regional Unemployment in Spain - Disparities, Business Cycle and Wage Setting," ERSA conference papers ersa05p489, European Regional Science Association.
- Roberto Bande & Melchor Fernandez & Victor Montuenga, 2005. "Regional Unemployment in Spain: Disparities, Business Cycle and Wage Setting," Documentos de trabajo - Analise Economica 0035, IDEGA - Instituto Universitario de Estudios e Desenvolvemento de Galicia.
- David Bartolini & Raffaella Santolini, 2012. "Political yardstick competition among Italian municipalities on spending decisions," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 49(1), pages 213-235, August.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-1426, November.
- Bowsher, Clive G., 2002. "On testing overidentifying restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 211-220, October.
- Jan J.G. Lemmen, 1999. "Managing Government Default Risk in Federal States," FMG Special Papers sp116, Financial Markets Group.
- Van Hecke, Annelore, 2013. "Vertical debt spillovers in EMU countries," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 468-492.
- Eyraud, Luc & Lusinyan, Lusine, 2013. "Vertical fiscal imbalances and fiscal performance in advanced economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(5), pages 571-587.
- Jonathan A. Rodden & Gunnar S. Eskeland (ed.), 2003. "Fiscal Decentralization and the Challenge of Hard Budget Constraints," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262182297, March.
- Sorribas-Navarro, Pilar, 2011. "Bailouts in a fiscal federal system: Evidence from Spain," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 154-170, March.
More about this item
Keywordspublic deficit; intergovernmental relations; yardstick competition.;
- H62 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Deficit; Surplus
- H72 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Budget and Expenditures
- H77 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Intergovernmental Relations; Federalism
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-EUR-2015-04-11 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-PBE-2015-04-11 (Public Economics)
- NEP-URE-2015-04-11 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gov:wpaper:1503. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricio Sanchez-Fernandez). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/geviges.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.