What do Theories of Tax Competition Predict for Capital Taxes in EU Countries? A Review of the Tax Competition Literature
The paper reviews the theoretical literature on capital tax competition relevant for capital taxation in the European Union. The basic tax competition model a la Zodrow and Mierzkowski (1986) is presented, and the arguments of the literature are subsequently integrated into the framework of the basic tax competition model. The review includes models of tax competition where countries are assumed large, asymmetric, when there are more than one tax instrument, where there are more than one tax base, when government is assumed self-serving, and where democratic elections and political equilibrium are allowed for. Moreover, the consequences of agglomeration economies for tax competition pressures are reviewed and incorporated into the standard tax competition model.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 36, 1211 Geneva 21|
Phone: ++41 22 731 17 30
Fax: ++41 22 738 43 06
Web page: http://www.graduateinstitute.ch/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fredrik Andersson & Rikard Forslid, 2000.
"Tax Competition and Economic Geography,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1356, Econometric Society.
- Andersson, Fredrik & Forslid, Rikard, 1999. "Tax Competition and Economic Geography," CEPR Discussion Papers 2220, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Forslid, Rikard & Andersson, Fredrik, 1999. "Tax Competition and Economic Geography," Research Papers in Economics 2000:5, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Persson, Torsten & Tabellini, Guido, 1991.
"The Politics of 1992: Fiscal Policy and European Integration,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
501, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Torsten Persson & Guido Tabellini, 1992. "The Politics of 1992: Fiscal Policy and European Integration," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(4), pages 689-701.
- Torsten Persson & Guido Tabellini, 1990. "The Politics of 1992: Fiscal Policy and European Integration," NBER Working Papers 3460, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 1989.
"International Tax Competition and Gains from Tax Harmonization,"
NBER Working Papers
3152, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim, 1991. "International tax competition and gains from tax harmonization," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 69-76, September.
- Rodney D. Ludema & Ian Wooton, 1998.
"Economic Geography and the Fiscal Effects of Regional Integration,"
- Ludema, Rodney D. & Wooton, Ian, 2000. "Economic geography and the fiscal effects of regional integration," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 331-357, December.
- Rodney D. Ludema & Ian Wooton, 1998. "Economic Geography and the Fiscal Effects of Regional Integration," Working Papers 9809, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Ludema, Rodney D & Wooton, Ian, 1998. "Economic Geography and the Fiscal Effects of Regional Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 1822, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeremy Edwards & Michael Keen, 1994.
"Tax competition and Leviathon,"
IFS Working Papers
W94/07, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Zodrow, George R. & Mieszkowski, Peter, 1986. "Pigou, Tiebout, property taxation, and the underprovision of local public goods," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 356-370, May.
- Wildasin, D.E., 1987.
"Nash equilibria in models of fiscal competition,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1987020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Kind, H.J. & Knarvik, K.H.M. & Schjelderup, G., 1999.
"Competing for Capital in a "Lumpy" World,"
7/99, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Hans Jarle Kind & Helene Midelfart & Guttorm Schjelderup, 2000. "Competing for Capital in a "Lumpy" World," CESifo Working Paper Series 252, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Schjelderup, Guttorm & Ulltveit-Moe, Karen-Helene, 1999. "Competing for Capital in a 'Lumpy' World," CEPR Discussion Papers 2188, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jacob Frenkel & Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 1991.
"International Taxation in an Integrated World,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061430, December.
- Duane Swank, 1998. "Funding the Welfare State: Globalization and the Taxation of Business in Advanced Market Economies," Political Studies, Political Studies Association, vol. 46(4), pages 671-692, 09.
- Richard Baldwin; Paul Krugman, 2001.
"Agglomeration, Integration and Tax Harmonization,"
IHEID Working Papers
01-2001, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Paul Krugman, 2002. "Agglomeration, Integration and Tax Harmonization," NBER Working Papers 9290, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, Richard & Krugman, Paul, 2000. "Agglomeration, Integration and Tax Harmonization," CEPR Discussion Papers 2630, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bucovetsky, S., 1991. "Asymmetric tax competition," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 167-181, September.
- Isabelle Joumard, 2002.
"Tax systems in European Union countries,"
OECD Economic Studies,
OECD Publishing, vol. 2002(1), pages 91-151.
- Wilson, J.D., 1990.
"Tax Competition With Interregional Differences In Factor Endowments,"
4, John Deutsch Institute for the Study of Economic Policy.
- Wilson, John Douglas, 1991. "Tax competition with interregional differences in factor endowments," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 423-451, November.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Keen, Michael, 1991. "Tax competition and tax coordination : when countries differ in size," Policy Research Working Paper Series 738, The World Bank.
- Krogstrup, Signe, 2002. "Public debt asymmetries: the effect on taxes and spending in the European Union," Working Paper Series 0162, European Central Bank.
- Bucovetsky, Sam & Wilson, John Douglas, 1991. "Tax competition with two tax instruments," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 333-350, November.
- Wilson, John Douglas, 1999. "Theories of Tax Competition," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 52(n. 2), pages 269-304, June.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco & van Ypersele, Tanguy, 2002. "Market Access and Tax Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 3638, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gii:giihei:heiwp05-2002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rahul Mehrotra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.