The Separation of Information and Lending and the Rise of Rating Agencies in the United States
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Marc Flandreau & Christophe Galimard & Clemens Jobst & Pilar Nogués-Marco, 2009.
"Monetary geography before the Industrial Revolution,"
Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society,
Cambridge Political Economy Society, vol. 2(2), pages 149-171.
- Flandreau, Marc & Galimard, Christophe & Jobst, Clemens & Nogues-Marco, Pilar, 2009. "Monetary Geography Before the Industrial Revolution," CEPR Discussion Papers 7169, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kocherlakota, Narayana R., 1998. "Money Is Memory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 232-251, August.
- Mark Carlson, 2004.
"Are Branch Banks Better Survivors? Evidence from the Depression Era,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 42(1), pages 111-126, January.
- Mark A. Carlson, 2001. "Are branch banks better survivors? Evidence from the Depression era," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-51, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (US).
- Marc Flandreau, Stefano Ugolini, 2011.
"Where It All Began: Lending of Last Resort and the Bank of England during the Overend, Gurney Panic of 1866,"
IHEID Working Papers
04-2011, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Marc Flandreau & Stefano Ugolini, 2011. "Where it all began: lending of last resort and the Bank of England during the Overend-Gurney panic of 1866," Working Paper 2011/03, Norges Bank.
- Flandreau, Marc & Ugolini, Stefano, 2011. "Where It All Began: Lending of Last Resort and the Bank of England during the Overend, Gurney Panic of 1866," CEPR Discussion Papers 8362, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marc Flandreau & Stefano Ugolini, 2011. "Where It All Began: Lending of Last Resort and the Bank of England During the Overend, Gurney Panic of 1866," Working Papers 0007, European Historical Economics Society (EHES).
- Galassi, Francesco L. & Newton, Lucy A., 2001.
"My Word Is My Bond: Reputation As Collateral In Nineteenth Century English Provincial Banking,"
Economic Research Papers
269369, University of Warwick - Department of Economics.
- Francesco L.Galassi & Lucy A. Newton, 2001. "My word is my bond ; reputation as collateral in nineteenth century English provincial banking," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 599, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Jonathan Eaton & Mark Gersovitz, 1981. "Debt with Potential Repudiation: Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(2), pages 289-309.
- Wheelock, David C., 1992.
"Regulation and Bank Failures: New Evidence from the Agricultural Collapse of the 1920s,"
The Journal of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 52(04), pages 806-825, December.
- David C. Wheelock, 1991. "Regulation and bank failures: new evidence from the agricultural collapse of the 1920's," Working Papers 1991-006, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Barry Eichengreen & Marc Flandreau, 2012.
"The Federal Reserve, the Bank of England, and the Rise of the Dollar as an International Currency, 1914–1939,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 57-87, February.
- Barry Eichengreen, Marc Flandreau, 2010. "The Federal Reserve, the Bank of England, and the Rise of the Dollar as an International Currency, 1914-1939," IHEID Working Papers 16-2010, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Coase, R H, 1974. "The Lighthouse in Economics," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(2), pages 357-376, October.
- Hidy, R. W., 1935. "The House of Baring and American Trade," Business History Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(05), pages 71-75, October.
- Calomiris, Charles W., 1990. "Is Deposit Insurance Necessary? A Historical Perspective," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 50(02), pages 283-295, June.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 2001. "Comparing Financial Systems," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262511258, January.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Calomiris, Charles W. & Flandreau, Marc & Laeven, Luc, 2016.
"Political foundations of the lender of last resort: A global historical narrative,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 48-65.
- Calomiris, Charles & Flandreau, Marc & Laeven, Luc, 2016. "Political Foundations of the Lender of Last Resort: A Global Historical Narrative," CEPR Discussion Papers 11448, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
More about this item
KeywordsRating; Mercantile Agencies; Information; Credit Insurance; Comparative Economic History; Libel; Business Law;
- P5 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
- N2 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions
- K2 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-06-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2014-06-07 (Banking)
- NEP-HIS-2014-06-07 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-IAS-2014-06-07 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-LAW-2014-06-07 (Law & Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gii:giihei:heidwp11-2014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dorina Dobre). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/ieheich.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.