Regulating Asset Price Risk
There has been a long debate about whether speculators are stabilizing or not. We consider a model where speculators have a stabilizing role in normal times, but may also provoke large risk panics. The very feature that makes arbitrageurs liquidity providers in normal times, namely their tolerance of risk, enables a large increase in asset price risk during a financial panic. We show that a policy that discourages balance sheet risk reduces the magnitude of financial panics, as well as asset price risk in both normal and panic states.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 36, 1211 Geneva 21|
Phone: ++41 22 731 17 30
Fax: ++41 22 738 43 06
Web page: http://www.graduateinstitute.ch/economics
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippe Bacchetta & CÃ©dric Tille & Eric van Wincoop, 2012.
"Self-Fulfilling Risk Panics,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 102(7), pages 3674-3700, December.
- Bacchetta, Philippe & Tille, Cédric & van Wincoop, Eric, 2010. "Self-Fulfilling Risk Panics," CEPR Discussion Papers 7920, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eric van Wincoop & Cédric Tille & Philippe Bacchetta, 2011. "Self-fulfilling risk panics," 2011 Meeting Papers 186, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bacchetta, Philippe & Tille, Cédric & Wincoop, Eric, 2011. "Self-Fulfilling Risk Panics," Working Papers 2011-003, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Philippe Bacchetta & Cédric Tille & Eric van Wincoop, 2010. "Self-Fulfilling Risk Panics," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 10.05, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Philippe Bacchetta & Cédric Tille & Eric van Wincoop, 2010. "Self-Fulfilling Risk Panics," NBER Working Papers 16159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philippe Bacchetta & Cedric Tille & Eric van Wincoop, 2010. "Self-Fulfilling Risk Panics," IHEID Working Papers 17-2010, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Philippe Bacchetta & Cedric Tille & Eric van Wincoop, 2010. "Self-Fulfilling Risk Panics," Working Papers 282010, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Stephen Morris & Hyun Song Shin, 2008. "Financial Regulation in a System Context," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 39(2 (Fall)), pages 229-274. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gii:giihei:heidwp02-2011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dorina Dobre)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.