Regulating Asset Price Risk
There has been a long debate about whether speculators are stabilizing or not. We consider a model where speculators have a stabilizing role in normal times, but may also provoke large risk panics. The very feature that makes arbitrageurs liquidity providers in normal times, namely their tolerance of risk, enables a large increase in asset price risk during a financial panic. We show that a policy that discourages balance sheet risk reduces the magnitude of financial panics, as well as asset price risk in both normal and panic states.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 36, 1211 Geneva 21|
Phone: ++41 22 731 17 30
Fax: ++41 22 738 43 06
Web page: http://www.graduateinstitute.ch/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Morris & Hyun Song Shin, 2008. "Financial Regulation in a System Context," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 39(2 (Fall)), pages 229-274.
- Philippe Bacchetta & Cédric Tille & Eric van Wincoop, 2010.
"Self-Fulfilling Risk Panics,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
10.05, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Eric van Wincoop & Cédric Tille & Philippe Bacchetta, 2011. "Self-fulfilling risk panics," 2011 Meeting Papers 186, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bacchetta, Philippe & Tille, Cédric & Wincoop, Eric, 2011. "Self-Fulfilling Risk Panics," Working Papers 2011-003, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Bacchetta, Philippe & Tille, Cédric & van Wincoop, Eric, 2010. "Self-Fulfilling Risk Panics," CEPR Discussion Papers 7920, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philippe Bacchetta & Cedric Tille & Eric van Wincoop, 2010. "Self-Fulfilling Risk Panics," IHEID Working Papers 17-2010, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Philippe Bacchetta & Cedric Tille & Eric van Wincoop, 2010. "Self-Fulfilling Risk Panics," Working Papers 282010, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Philippe Bacchetta & Cédric Tille & Eric van Wincoop, 2010. "Self-Fulfilling Risk Panics," NBER Working Papers 16159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gii:giihei:heidwp02-2011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rahul Mehrotra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.