Water resources development in Africa: a review and synthesis of issues, potentials, and strategies for the future
This paper analyzes how water resources development and water policy reform can be deployed to address the twin problems of food insecurity and water scarcity in Africa and, in particular, Sub-Saharan Africa. The paper reviews the current status of water supply and demand, and the existing and potential irrigated land base in Africa; reviews the performance of existing irrigation systems and assesses the magnitude of the potential contribution and cost-effectiveness of new irrigation development to future food production in Africa; and explores the potential for water conservation through demand management. Meeting the challenges of food security and water scarcity in Africa will require both selective development and exploitation of new water supplies and comprehensive policy reform that encourages efficient use of existing supplies. The most significant reforms will involve changing the institutional and legal environment in which water is supplied to one that empowers water users to make their own decisions regarding the resource. Irrigation development will not be the main source of food production growth in Africa, but increased investment in irrigation could have an important role in reducing projected cereal import demands. Rehabilitation and improvement of existing irrigation systems can be an attractive option, but projects must be selected carefully.
|Date of creation:||1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2033 K Street, NW, Washington, DC 20006|
Web page: http://www.ifpri.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reardon, Thomas & Crawford, Eric W. & Bernsten, Richard H. & Eicher, Carl K. & Jayne, Thomas S. & Oehmke, James F. & Savadogo, Kimseyinga, 1993. "Challenges for Creating and Sustaining A Green Revolution in Africa," Staff Papers 11735, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Aluwihare, Parakrama B. & Kikuchi, Masao, 1991.
"Irrigation investment trends in Sri Lanka: new construction and beyond,"
International Water Management Institute, number 113725.
- Aluwihare, P. B. & Kikuchi, M., 1991. "Irrigation investment trends in Sri Lanka: new construction and beyond," IWMI Books, Reports H009282, International Water Management Institute.
- Frederick, K.D., 1993. "Balancing Water Demands with Supplies; The Role of Management in a world of Increasing Scarcity," Papers 189, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Brown, E.P. & Nooter, R., 1992. "Successful Small-Scale Irrigation in the Sahel," Papers 171, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Adams, W. M., 1990. "How beautiful is small? Scale, control and success in Kenyan irrigation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 18(10), pages 1309-1323, October.
- Rosegrant, Mark W. & Binswanger, Hans P., 1994. "Markets in tradable water rights: Potential for efficiency gains in developing country water resource allocation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(11), pages 1613-1625, November.
- Warr, Peter G., 1990.
"Predictive performance of the World Bank's commodity price projections,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 4(3-4), December.
- Warr, Peter G., 1990. "Predictive performance of the World Bank's commodity price projections," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 4(3-4), pages 365-379, December.
- Randall, Alan, 1981. "Property Entitlements And Pricing Policies For A Maturing Water Economy," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 25(03), December.
- Rosegrant, Mark W. & Schleyer, Renato Gazmuri & Yadav, Satya N., 1995. "Water policy for efficient agricultural diversification: market-based approaches," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 203-223, June.
- Delgado, Christopher L., 1995. "Agricultural diversification and export promotion in sub-Saharan Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 225-243, June.
- Barghouti,S. & Le Moigne, G., 1990. "Irrigation In Sub-Saharan Africa; The Development Of Public And Private Systems," Papers 123, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Ahmed, Raisuddin & Hossain, Mahabub, 1990. "Developmental impact of rural infrastructure in Bangladesh:," Research reports 83, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:eptddp:28. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.