Performance Pay, CEO Dismissal, and the Dual Role of Takeovers
We propose that an active takeover market provides incentives by o¤ering acqui- sition opportunities to successful managers. This allows ?rms to reduce performance- based compensation and can rationalize loss-making acquisitions. At the same time, takeovers remain a substitute for board dismissal in the replacement of poorly per- forming managers. The joint impact of the two mechanisms on managerial turnover is, however, multi-faceted: In ?rms with strong boards, turnover and performance- based pay are non-monotonic in the intensity of the takeover threat. In ?rms with weak boards, turnover (performance-based pay) increases (decreases) with the in- tensity of the takeover threat. When choosing its acquisition policy and the quality of its board, each ?rm ignores the adverse e¤ect on other ?rms?acquisition oppor- tunities and takeover threat. As a result, the takeover market is not su¢ ciently liquid and too few takeovers occur.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burkart, Mike & Gromb, Denis & Panunzi, Fausto, 1997. "Large Shareholders, Monitoring, and the Value of the Firm," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(3), pages 693-728, August.
- Tirole, Jean, 2001.
Econometric Society, vol. 69(1), pages 1-35, January.
- Robert Gibbons & Kevin J. Murphy, 1991.
"Optimal Incentive Contracts in the Presence of Career Concerns: Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
3792, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gibbons, Robert & Murphy, Kevin J, 1992. "Optimal Incentive Contracts in the Presence of Career Concerns: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(3), pages 468-505, June.
- Murphy, K.J. & Gibbons, R., 1990. "Optimal Incentive Contracts in the Presence of Career Concerns : Theory and Evidence," Papers 90-09, Rochester, Business - Managerial Economics Research Center.
- Gibbons, R. & Murphy, K.J., 1990. "Optimal Incentive Contracts In The Presence Of Career Concerns: Theory And Evidence," Working papers 563, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Ferreira, Daniel & Ferreira, Miguel A. & Raposo, Clara C., 2011.
"Board structure and price informativeness,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 99(3), pages 523-545, March.
- Francesca Cornelli & Zbigniew Kominek & Alexander Ljungqvist, 2013.
"Monitoring Managers: Does It Matter?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 68(2), pages 431-481, 04.
- Francesca Cornelli & Zbigniew Kominek & Alexander Ljungqvist, 2010. "Monitoring Managers: Does it Matter?," Working Papers 2010.30, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Francesca Cornelli & Zbigniew Kominek & Alexander Ljungqvist, 2010. "Monitoring managers: does it matter?," Working Papers 110, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Cornelli, Francesca & Kominek, Zbigniew & Ljungqvist, Alexander P., 2009. "Monitoring Managers: Does it Matter?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7571, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Avery, Christopher & Chevalier, Judith A & Schaefer, Scott, 1998. "Why Do Managers Undertake Acquisitions? An Analysis of Internal and External Rewards for Acquisitiveness," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(1), pages 24-43, April.
- Andres Almazan & Javier Suarez, 2003. "Entrenchment and Severance Pay in Optimal Governance Structures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(2), pages 519-548, 04.
- Dittmar, Amy & Mahrt-Smith, Jan & Servaes, Henri, 2002. "Corporate Liquidity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3499, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ronald W. Masulis & Shawn Mobbs, 2011. "Are All Inside Directors the Same? Evidence from the External Directorship Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 66(3), pages 823-872, 06.
- Gregor Andrade & Mark Mitchell & Erik Stafford, 2001. "New Evidence and Perspectives on Mergers," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(2), pages 103-120, Spring.
- Sudip Datta, 2001. "Executive Compensation and Corporate Acquisition Decisions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2299-2336, December.
- Ellis, Jesse & Moeller, Sara B. & Schlingemann, Frederick P. & Stulz, Rene M., 2011.
"Globalization, Governance, and the Returns to Cross-Border Acquisitions,"
Working Paper Series
2011-1, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Jesse Ellis & Sara B. Moeller & Frederik P. Schlingemann & René M. Stulz, 2011. "Globalization, Governance, and the Returns to Cross-Border Acquisitions," NBER Working Papers 16676, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anand M. Goel & Anjan V. Thakor, 2010. "Do Envious CEOs Cause Merger Waves?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(2), pages 487-517, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fmg:fmgdps:dp694. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.