The microstructure of China's government bond market
Although China now has one of the largest government bond markets in the world, the market has received relatively little attention and analysis. We describe the history and structure of the market and assess its functioning. We find that trading in individual bonds was historically sparse but has increased markedly in recent years. We find also that certain announcements of macroeconomic news, such as China’s producer price index (PPI) and manufacturing purchasing managers’ index (PMI), have significant effects on yields, even when such yields are measured at a daily level. Despite the increased activity in the market, we are able to reject the null hypothesis of market efficiency under two different tests for four of the most actively traded bonds.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 33 Liberty Street, New York, NY 10045-0001|
Web page: http://www.newyorkfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.ny.frb.org/rmaghome/staff_rp/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wei Xiong & Jialin Yu, 2011. "The Chinese Warrants Bubble," Working Papers 1398, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Econometric Research Program..
- Kalok Chan & Albert J. Menkveld & Zhishu Yang, 2008. "Information Asymmetry and Asset Prices: Evidence from the China Foreign Share Discount," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(1), pages 159-196, 02.
- Dong Lou & Hongjun Yan & Jinfan Zhang, 2013.
"Anticipated and Repeated Shocks in Liquid Markets,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 26(8), pages 1891-1912.
- Hongjun Yan, 2011. "Anticipated and Repeated Shocks in Liquid Markets," Yale School of Management Working Papers amz2675, Yale School of Management.
- Jinfan Zhang & Hongjun Yan & Dong Lou, 2011. "Anticipated and Repeated Shocks in Liquid Markets," 2011 Meeting Papers 1446, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Hongjun Yan & Jinfan Zhang & Dong Lou, 2011. "Anticipated and Repeated Shocks in Liquid Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp684, Financial Markets Group.
- Balduzzi, Pierluigi & Elton, Edwin J. & Green, T. Clifton, 2001. "Economic News and Bond Prices: Evidence from the U.S. Treasury Market," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(04), pages 523-543, December.
- Wei Xiong & Jialin Yu, 2011. "The Chinese Warrants Bubble," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(6), pages 2723-2753, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fednsr:622. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Farber)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.