Shadow banking regulation
Shadow banks conduct credit intermediation without direct, explicit access to public sources of liquidity and credit guarantees. Shadow banks contributed to the credit boom in the early 2000s and collapsed during the financial crisis of 2007-09. We review the rapidly growing literature on shadow banking and provide a conceptual framework for its regulation. Since the financial crisis, regulatory reform efforts have aimed at strengthening the stability of the shadow banking system. We review the implications of these reform efforts for shadow funding sources including asset-backed commercial paper, triparty repurchase agreements, money market mutual funds, and securitization. Despite significant efforts by lawmakers, regulators, and accountants, we find that progress in achieving a more stable shadow banking system has been uneven.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 33 Liberty Street, New York, NY 10045-0001|
Web page: http://www.newyorkfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.ny.frb.org/rmaghome/staff_rp/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raghuram G. Rajan, 2005.
"Has Financial Development Made the World Riskier?,"
- Raghuram G. Rajan, 2005. "Has financial development made the world riskier?," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Aug, pages 313-369.
- Tobias Adrian & Brian Begalle & Adam Copeland & Antoine Martin, 2012.
"Repo and Securities Lending,"
NBER Working Papers
18549, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicola Gennaioli & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 2011.
"A model of shadow banking,"
Economics Working Papers
1283, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised May 2012.
- Nicola Gennaioli & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, . "A Model of Shadow Banking," Working Paper 19521, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Nicola Gennaioli & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 2012. "A Model of Shadow Banking," Working Papers 576, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Gennaioli, Nicola & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 2013. "A Model of Shadow Banking," Scholarly Articles 11688792, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Nicola Gennaioli & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 2011. "A Model of Shadow Banking," NBER Working Papers 17115, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicola Gennaioli, 2012. "A Model of Shadow Banking," 2012 Meeting Papers 89, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Mathis, Jérôme & McAndrews, James & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2009. "Rating the raters: Are reputation concerns powerful enough to discipline rating agencies?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(5), pages 657-674, July.
- Tobias Adrian & Emanuel Moench & Hyun Song Shin, 2010.
"Macro risk premium and intermediary balance sheet quantities,"
428, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Tobias Adrian & Emanuel Moench & Hyun Song Shin, 2010. "Macro Risk Premium and Intermediary Balance Sheet Quantities," IMF Economic Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 58(1), pages 179-207, August.
- Tobias Adrian & Michael J. Fleming, 2005. "What financing data reveal about dealer leverage," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 11(Mar).
- Benjamin J. Keys & Tanmoy Mukherjee & Amit Seru & Vikrant Vig, 2010. "Did Securitization Lead to Lax Screening? Evidence from Subprime Loans," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 125(1), pages 307-362.
- Carlos O. Arteta & Mark S. Carey & Ricardo Correa & Jason Kotter, 2013.
"Revenge of the steamroller: ABCP as a window on risk choices,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
1076, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Adam Ashcraft & Paul Goldsmith-Pinkham & Peter Hull & James Vickery, 2011. "Credit Ratings and Security Prices in the Subprime MBS Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(3), pages 115-19, May.
- Acharya, Viral V & Schnabl, Philipp & Suarez, Gustavo, 2012.
"Securitization Without Risk Transfer,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8769, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fednsr:559. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Farber)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.