Social accounting matrices and applied general equilibrium models
To illustrate the use of social accounting matrices (SAMs) in applied general equilibrium (GE) modeling, we use an aggregated SAM for the Spanish economy to calibrate a simple applied GE model. The idea is to construct artificial people - households, government, and a foreign sector - who make the same transactions in the equilibrium of the model economy as do their counterparts in the data. This calibration procedure can be augmented, or partially substituted for, by statistical estimation of key parameters. We show the usefulness of such a model by presenting the results of a comparative exercise that mimics the policy changes that took place in Spain during its 1986 integration into the European Community. Sub-sequent data shows the model results to be remarkably accurate, especially if we account for other major shocks affected the Spanish economy in 1986.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Applied economics and public policy (Vol. 63, 1998, pp. 59-87)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (612) 204-5000
Web page: http://minneapolisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.minneapolisfed.org/pubs/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kehoe, Timothy J. & Noyola, Pedro Javier & Manresa, Antonio & Polo, Clemente & Sancho, Ferran, 1988. "A general equilibrium analysis of the 1986 tax reform in Spain," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 334-342, March.
- T. J. Kehoe & J. Serra-Puche, 1983.
"A General Equilibrium Appraisal of Energy Policy in Mexico,"
321, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Kehoe, Timothy J & Serra-Puche, Jaime, 1991. "A General Equilibrium Appraisal of Energy Policy in Mexico," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 71-93.
- Harris, Richard, 1984.
"Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Small Open Economies with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 74(5), pages 1016-32, December.
- Richard Harris, 1983. "Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Small Open Economies with Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition," Working Papers 524, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- John B. Shoven & John Whalley, 1972.
"A General Equilibrium Calculation of the Effects of Differential Taxation of Income from Capital in the U.S,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
328, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Shoven, John B. & Whalley, John, 1972. "A general equilibrium calculation of the effects of differential taxation of income from capital in the U.S," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3-4), pages 281-321, November.
- Herbert E. Scarf, 1967. "On the Computation of Equilibrium Prices," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 232, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Don Fullerton & John B. Shoven & John Whalley, 1982.
"Replacing the U.S. Income Tax with a Progressive Consumption Tax: A Sequenced General Equilibrium Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
0892, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fullerton, Don & Shoven, John B. & Whalley, John, 1983. "Replacing the U.S. income tax with a progressive consumption tax : A sequenced general equilibrium approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 3-23, February.
- Shoven, John B & Whalley, John, 1984. "Applied General-Equilibrium Models of Taxation and International Trade: An Introduction and Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 22(3), pages 1007-51, September.
- Cox, David & Harris, Richard, 1985.
"Trade Liberalization and Industrial Organization: Some Estimates for Canada,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(1), pages 115-45, February.
- David Cox & Richard Harris, 1983. "Trade Liberalization and Industrial Organization: Some Estimates for Canada," Working Papers 523, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Patrick J. Kehoe & Timothy J. Kehoe, 1994. "A primer on static applied general equilibrium models," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 2-16.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & Clemente Polo & Ferran Sancho, 1994.
"An evaluation of the performance of an applied general equilibrium model of the Spanish economy,"
480, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Kehoe, Timothy J & Polo, Clemente & Sancho, Ferran, 1995. "An Evaluation of the Performance of an Applied General Equilibrium Model of the Spanish Economy," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 115-41, June.
- Kenneth J. Arrow & Timothy J. Kehoe, 1994. "Distinguished Fellow: Herbert Scarf's Contributions to Economics," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(4), pages 161-181, Fall.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedmwp:563. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janelle Ruswick)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.