Functional Forms and Parametrization of CGE Models
This study focused on the choice of functional forms and their parametrization (estimation of free parameters and calibration of other parameters) in the context of CGE models. Various types of elasticities are defined, followed by a presentation of the functional forms most commonly used in these models and various econometric methods for estimating their free parameters. Following this presentation of the theoretical framework, we review parameter estimates used in the literature. This brief literature review was carried out to be used as a guideline for the choice of parameters for CGE models of developing countries.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Pavillon J.A. De Seve, Québec, Québec, G1V 0A6|
Phone: 1-418-656-2131, ext. 2697
Web page: http://www.pep-net.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harrison, Glenn W & Vinod, H D, 1992. "The Sensitivity Analysis of Applied General Equilibrium Models: Completely Randomized Factorial Sampling Designs," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(2), pages 357-62, May.
- Kapuscinski, Cezary A. & Warr, Peter G., 1999.
"Estimation of Armington elasticities: an application to the Philippines,"
Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 257-278, April.
- Cezary A. Kapuscinski & Prof Peter G. Warr, 1996. "Estimation of Armington Elasticities: An Application to the Philippines," Trade and Development 96/8, Australian National University, Department of Economics.
- Cezary A Kapuscinski & Peter G Warr, 1996. "Estimation of Armington Elasticities: An Application to the Philippines," Departmental Working Papers 1996-08, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- ABDELKHALEK, Touhami & DUFOUR, Jean-Marie, 1997.
"Statistical Inference for Computable General Equilibrium Models with Application to a Model of the Moroccan Economy,"
Cahiers de recherche
9713, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Touhami Abdelkhalek & Jean-Marie Dufour, 1998. "Statistical Inference For Computable General Equilibrium Models, With Application To A Model Of The Moroccan Economy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 520-534, November.
- Löfgren, Hans, 2001. "Less poverty in Egypt?," TMD discussion papers 72, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Arndt, Channing & Robinson, Sherman & Tarp, Finn, 2002.
"Parameter estimation for a computable general equilibrium model: a maximum entropy approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 375-398, May.
- Arndt, Channing & Robinson, Sherman & Tarp, Finn, 1999. "Parameter estimation for a computable general equilibrium model: a maximum entropy approach," TMD discussion papers 40, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Go, Delfin S. & Hongyi Li, 1999. "Quantifying the fiscal effects of trade reform," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2162, The World Bank.
- Lars Peter Hansen & James J. Heckman, 1996. "The Empirical Foundations of Calibration," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(1), pages 87-104, Winter.
- Hanoch, Giora, 1971. "CRESH Production Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(5), pages 695-712, September.
- ABDELKHALEK, Touhami & DUFOUR, Jean-Marie, 1998.
"Confidence Regions for Calibrated Parameters in Computable General Equilibrium Models,"
Cahiers de recherche
9810, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Touhami Abdelkhalek & Jean-Marie Dufour, 2006. "Confidence Regions for Calibrated Parameters in Computable General Equilibrium Models," Annals of Economics and Statistics, GENES, issue 81, pages 1-31.
- Jean-Marie Dufour & Abdelkhalek Touhami, 2000. "Confidence Regions for Calibrated Parameters in Computable General Equilibrium Models," CIRANO Working Papers 2000s-18, CIRANO.
- Shoven, John B & Whalley, John, 1984. "Applied General-Equilibrium Models of Taxation and International Trade: An Introduction and Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 22(3), pages 1007-51, September.
- Perroni, Carlo & Rutherford, Thomas F, 1998. "A Comparison of the Performance of Flexible Functional Forms for Use in Applied General Equilibrium Modelling," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 11(3), pages 245-63, June.
- Shoven,John B. & Whalley,John, 1992.
"Applying General Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521319867, December.
- McKitrick, Ross R., 1998. "The econometric critique of computable general equilibrium modeling: the role of functional forms," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 543-573, October.
- Howe, Howard, 1975. "Development of the extended linear expenditure system from simple saving assumptions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 305-310, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lvl:mpiacr:2006-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Manuel Paradis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.