The P-star approach to the link between money and prices
This paper examines several specification errors in the M2-based P* model and develops an M1-based estimate of this model. The apparent statistical significance of M2 is shown to arise from a spurious regression that uses a non-stationary regressor and because the significance test for M2 is biased by including the influence of a lagged dependent variable whose coefficient is not normally distributed. When these problems are addressed, M2 is not statistically significant related to the price level. The M1-based P* model exhibits a significant relationship between M1 and the price level, however.
|Date of creation:||1990|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John B. Carlson, 1989. "The indicator P-star: just what does it indicate?," Economic Commentary, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Sep.
- Joseph H. Haslag, 1990. "Monetary aggregates and the rate of inflation," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Mar, pages 1-12.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1981.
"Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses,"
Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 781-93, May.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1980. "Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses," Working Papers 378, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- John A. Tatom, 1990. "The effects of financial innovations on checkable deposits, M1 and M2," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 37-57.
- Yash P. Mehra, 1988. "The forecast performance of alternative models of inflation," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Sep, pages 10-18.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Rudebusch, Glenn D., 1991.
"On the power of Dickey-Fuller tests against fractional alternatives,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 155-160, February.
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1990. "On the power of Dickey-Fuller tests against fractional alternatives," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 119, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Schwert, G. William, 1987. "Effects of model specification on tests for unit roots in macroeconomic data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 73-103, July.
- Stockton, David J & Glassman, James E, 1987. "An Evaluation of the Forecast Performance of Alternative Models of Inflation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(1), pages 108-17, February.
- Jeffrey J. Hallman & Richard D. Porter & David H. Small, 1989. "M2 per unit of potential GNP as an anchor for the price level," Staff Studies 157, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Brunner, Karl & Meltzer, Allan H., 1987. "Empirical studies of velocity, real exchange rates, unemployment, and productivity," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 1-8, January.
- Pecchenino, R. A. & Rasche, Robert H., 1990.
"P* type models: Evaluation and forecasts,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 421-440, October.
- Perron, Pierre, 1990.
"Testing for a Unit Root in a Time Series with a Changing Mean,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 8(2), pages 153-62, April.
- Perron, P., 1989. "Testing For A Unit Root In A Time Series With A Changing Mean," Papers 347, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Kenneth N. Kuttner, 1990. "Inflation and the growth rate of money," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Jan, pages 2-11.
- W. Michael Cox & Joseph H. Haslag, 1989. "The effects of financial deregulation on inflation, velocity growth, and monetary targeting," Research Paper 8907, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Thomas M. Humphrey, 1989. "Precursors of the P-star model," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Jul, pages 3-9.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlwp:1990-008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.