The P-star approach to the link between money and prices
This paper examines several specification errors in the M2-based P* model and develops an M1-based estimate of this model. The apparent statistical significance of M2 is shown to arise from a spurious regression that uses a non-stationary regressor and because the significance test for M2 is biased by including the influence of a lagged dependent variable whose coefficient is not normally distributed. When these problems are addressed, M2 is not statistically significant related to the price level. The M1-based P* model exhibits a significant relationship between M1 and the price level, however.
|Date of creation:||1990|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stockton, David J & Glassman, James E, 1987. "An Evaluation of the Forecast Performance of Alternative Models of Inflation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(1), pages 108-17, February.
- Yash P. Mehra, 1988. "The forecast performance of alternative models of inflation," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Sep, pages 10-18.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1981.
"Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses,"
Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 781-93, May.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1980. "Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses," Working Papers 378, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- W. Michael Cox & Joseph H. Haslag, 1989. "The effects of financial deregulation on inflation, velocity growth, and monetary targeting," Research Paper 8907, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Perron, Pierre, 1990.
"Testing for a Unit Root in a Time Series with a Changing Mean,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 8(2), pages 153-62, April.
- Perron, P., 1989. "Testing For A Unit Root In A Time Series With A Changing Mean," Papers 347, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Kenneth N. Kuttner, 1990. "Inflation and the growth rate of money," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Jan, pages 2-11.
- Joseph H. Haslag, 1990. "Monetary aggregates and the rate of inflation," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Mar, pages 1-12.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Schwert, G. William, 1987. "Effects of model specification on tests for unit roots in macroeconomic data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 73-103, July.
- John B. Carlson, 1989. "The indicator P-star: just what does it indicate?," Economic Commentary, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Sep.
- Brunner, Karl & Meltzer, Allan H., 1987. "Empirical studies of velocity, real exchange rates, unemployment, and productivity," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 1-8, January.
- John A. Tatom, 1990. "The effects of financial innovations on checkable deposits, M1 and M2," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 37-57.
- R.A. Pecchenino & Robert H. Rasche, 1990.
"P* Type Models: Evaluation and Forecasts,"
NBER Working Papers
3406, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas M. Humphrey, 1989. "Precursors of the P-star model," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Jul, pages 3-9.
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1990.
"On the power of Dickey-Fuller tests against fractional alternatives,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
119, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Diebold, Francis X. & Rudebusch, Glenn D., 1991. "On the power of Dickey-Fuller tests against fractional alternatives," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 155-160, February.
- Jeffrey J. Hallman & Richard D. Porter & David H. Small, 1989. "M2 per unit of potential GNP as an anchor for the price level," Staff Studies 157, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlwp:1990-008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.