Sequential Monte Carlo sampling for DSGE models
We develop a sequential Monte Carlo (SMC) algorithm for estimating Bayesian dynamic stochastic general equilibrium (DSGE) models, wherein a particle approximation to the posterior is built iteratively through tempering the likelihood. Using three examples--an artificial state-space model, the Smets and Wouters (2007) model, and Schmitt-Grohe and Uribe's (2012) news shock model--we show that the SMC algorithm is better suited for multimodal and irregular posterior distributions than the widely-used random-walk Metropolis-Hastings algorithm. We find that a more diffuse prior for the Smets and Wouters (2007) model improves its marginal data density and that a slight modification of the prior for the news shock model leads to important changes in the posterior inference about the importance of news shocks for fluctuations in hours worked. Unlike standard Markov chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) techniques, the SMC algorithm is well suited for parallel computing.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.federalreserve.gov/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/feds/fedsorder.html|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marco Del Negro & Frank Schorfheide, 2006.
"Forming priors for DSGE models (and how it affects the assessment of nominal rigidities),"
2006-16, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Del Negro, Marco & Schorfheide, Frank, 2008. "Forming priors for DSGE models (and how it affects the assessment of nominal rigidities)," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(7), pages 1191-1208, October.
- Marco Del Negro & Frank Schorfheide, 2008. "Forming priors for DSGE models (and how it affects the assessment of nominal rigidities)," Staff Reports 320, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Marco Del Negro & Frank Schorfheide, 2008. "Forming Priors for DSGE Models (and How it Affects the Assessment of Nominal Rigidities)," NBER Working Papers 13741, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Del Negro, Marco & Schorfheide, Frank, 2007. "Forming Priors for DSGE Models (and How It Affects the Assessment of Nominal Rigidities)," CEPR Discussion Papers 6119, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Frank Schorfheide & Marco Del Negro, 2007. "Forming Priors for DSGE Models (and How It Affects the Assessment of Nominal Rigidities)," 2007 Meeting Papers 283, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Rabanal, Pau & Rubio-Ramirez, Juan F., 2005. "Comparing New Keynesian models of the business cycle: A Bayesian approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 1151-1166, September.
- Koopman, Siem Jan & Shephard, Neil & Creal, Drew, 2009. "Testing the assumptions behind importance sampling," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 149(1), pages 2-11, April.
- DeJong, David N. & Ingram, Beth F. & Whiteman, Charles H., 2000. "A Bayesian approach to dynamic macroeconomics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 203-223, October.
- Strid, Ingvar, 2010. "Efficient parallelisation of Metropolis-Hastings algorithms using a prefetching approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(11), pages 2814-2835, November.
- Nicolas Chopin, 2002.
"A sequential particle filter method for static models,"
Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(3), pages 539-552, August.
- Nicolas Chopin, 2000. "A Sequential Particle Filter Method for Static Models," Working Papers 2000-45, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Otrok, Christopher, 2001.
"On measuring the welfare cost of business cycles,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 61-92, February.
- Chris Otrok, 1999. "On Measuring the Welfare Cost of Business Cycles," Virginia Economics Online Papers 318, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Christopher Otrok, 2000. "On Measuring the Welfare Cost of Business Cycles," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1094, Econometric Society.
- Strid, Ingvar & Giordani, Paolo & Kohn, Robert, 2010. "Adaptive hybrid Metropolis-Hastings samplers for DSGE models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 724, Stockholm School of Economics.
- King, Robert G. & Plosser, Charles I. & Rebelo, Sergio T., 1988. "Production, growth and business cycles : I. The basic neoclassical model," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 195-232.
- Pierre Del Moral & Arnaud Doucet & Ajay Jasra, 2006. "Sequential Monte Carlo samplers," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 68(3), pages 411-436.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Ramamurthy, Srikanth, 2010. "Tailored randomized block MCMC methods with application to DSGE models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 155(1), pages 19-38, March.
- Geweke, John, 1989. "Bayesian Inference in Econometric Models Using Monte Carlo Integration," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1317-39, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedgfe:2013-43. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kris Vajs)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.