Uncertainty, risk, and incentives: theory and evidence
Uncertainty has qualitatively different implications than risk in studying executive incentives. We study the interplay between profitability uncertainty and moral hazard, where profitability is multiplicative with managerial effort. Investors who face greater uncertainty desire faster learning, and consequently offer higher managerial incentives to induce higher effort from the manager. In contrast to the standard negative risk-incentive trade-off, this "learning-by-doing" effect generates a positive relation between profitability uncertainty and incentives. We document empirical support for this prediction.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 20th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20551|
Web page: http://www.federalreserve.gov/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/feds/fedsorder.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haubrich, Joseph G, 1994.
"Risk Aversion, Performance Pay, and the Principal-Agent Problem,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(2), pages 258-76, April.
- Joseph G. Haubrich, 1991. "Risk aversion, performance pay, and the principal-agent problem," Working Paper 9118, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Julien Prat & Boyan Jovanovic, 2010.
"Dynamic Incentive Contracts Under Parameter Uncertainty,"
NBER Working Papers
16649, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jovanovic, Boyan & Prat, Julien, 2010. "Dynamic Incentive Contracts under Parameter Uncertainty," CEPR Discussion Papers 8136, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Julien Prat, 2011. "Dynamic Incentive Contracts Under Parameter Uncertainty," 2011 Meeting Papers 249, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Prat, Julien & Jovanovic, Boyan, 2010. "Dynamic Incentive Contracts under Parameter Uncertainty," IZA Discussion Papers 5323, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Xavier Gabaix & Augustin Landier, 2006.
"Why Has CEO Pay Increased So Much?,"
2006 Meeting Papers
518, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Alex Edmans & Xavier Gabaix, 2009.
"Tractability in Incentive Contracting,"
NBER Working Papers
15545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xavier Gabaix & Alex Edmans, 2010. "Tractability in Incentive Contracting," 2010 Meeting Papers 1120, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Edmans, Alex & Gabaix, Xavier, 2009. "Tractability in Incentive Contracting," CEPR Discussion Papers 7578, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Edmans, Alex & Gabaix, Xavier, 2010. "Tractability in Incentive Contracting," Working Papers 10-13, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Marianne P. Bitler & Tobias J. Moskowitz & Annette Vissing-Jørgensen, 2005. "Testing Agency Theory with Entrepreneur Effort and Wealth," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(2), pages 539-576, 04.
- Zabojnik, Jan, 1996. "Pay-performance sensitivity and production uncertainty," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 291-296, December.
- Alex Edmans & Xavier Gabaix, 2011. "The Effect of Risk on the CEO Market," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(8), pages 2822-2863.
- John R. Graham & Si Li & Jiaping Qiu, 2011. "Managerial Attributes and Executive Compensation," NBER Working Papers 17368, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bo Becker, 2006. "Wealth and Executive Compensation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(1), pages 379-397, 02.
- Martijn Cremers & Hongjun Yan, 2009. "Uncertainty and Valuations," Yale School of Management Working Papers amz2383, Yale School of Management, revised 01 May 2009.
- Ingolf Dittmann & Ernst Maug, 2007. "Lower Salaries and No Options? On the Optimal Structure of Executive Pay," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(1), pages 303-343, 02.
- Alex Edmans & Xavier Gabaix & Augustin Landier, 2009. "A Multiplicative Model of Optimal CEO Incentives in Market Equilibrium," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(12), pages 4881-4917, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedgfe:2013-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Franz Osorio)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.