Dollar funding and the lending behavior of global banks
A large share of dollar-denominated lending is done by non-U.S. banks, particularly European banks. We present a model in which such banks cut dollar lending more than euro lending in response to a shock to their credit quality. Because these banks rely on wholesale dollar funding, while raising more of their euro funding through insured retail deposits, the shock leads to a greater withdrawal of dollar funding. Banks can borrow in euros and swap into dollars to make up for the dollar shortfall, but this may lead to violations of covered interest parity (CIP) when there is limited capital to take the other side of the swap trade. In this case, synthetic dollar borrowing becomes expensive, which causes cuts in dollar lending. We test the model in the context of the Eurozone sovereign crisis, which escalated in the second half of 2011 and resulted in U.S. money-market funds sharply reducing their funding to European banks. Coincident with the contraction in dollar funding, there were significant violations of euro-dollar CIP. Moreover, dollar lending by Eurozone banks fell relative to their euro lending in both the U.S. and Europe; this was not the case for U.S. global banks. Finally, European banks that were more reliant on money funds experienced bigger declines in dollar lending.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 20th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20551|
Web page: http://www.federalreserve.gov/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/feds/fedsorder.html|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Akram, Q. Farooq & Rime, Dagfinn & Sarno, Lucio, 2006.
"Arbitrage in the Foreign Exchange Market: Turning on the Microscope,"
SIFR Research Report Series
42, Institute for Financial Research.
- Akram, Q. Farooq & Rime, Dagfinn & Sarno, Lucio, 2008. "Arbitrage in the foreign exchange market: Turning on the microscope," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 237-253, December.
- Q. Farooq Akram, & Dagfinn Rime & Lucio Sarno, 2005. "Arbitrage in the foreign exchange market: Turning on the microscope," Working Paper 2005/12, Norges Bank.
- Akram, Farooq & Rime, Dagfinn & Sarno, Lucio, 2008. "Arbitrage in the Foreign Exchange Market: Turning on the Microscope," CEPR Discussion Papers 6878, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nicolae Gârleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2011.
"Margin-Based Asset Pricing and Deviations from the Law of One Price,"
NBER Working Papers
16777, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicolae Gârleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2011. "Margin-based Asset Pricing and Deviations from the Law of One Price," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(6), pages 1980-2022.
- Viral V Acharya & Philipp Schnabl, 2010. "Do Global Banks Spread Global Imbalances? Asset-Backed Commercial Paper during the Financial Crisis of 2007–09," IMF Economic Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 58(1), pages 37-73, August.
- Tommaso Mancini Griffoli & Angelo Ranaldo, 2010.
"Limits to arbitrage during the crisis: funding liquidity constraints and covered interest parity,"
2010-14, Swiss National Bank.
- Mancini Griffoli, Tommaso & Ranaldo, Angelo, 2012. "Limits to Arbitrage during the Crisis: Finding Liquidity Constraints and Covered Interest Parity," Working Papers on Finance 1212, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Niall Coffey & Warren B. Hrung & Asani Sarkar, 2009. "Capital constraints, counterparty risk, and deviations from covered interest rate parity," Staff Reports 393, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Ingo Fender & Patrick McGuire, 2010. "Bank structure, funding risk and the transmission of shocks across countries: concepts and measurement," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, September.
- Hyun Song Shin, 2012. "Global Banking Glut and Loan Risk Premium," IMF Economic Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 60(2), pages 155-192, July.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Linda S. Goldberg, 2011.
"Liquidity Management of U.S. Global Banks: Internal Capital Markets in the Great Recession,"
in: Global Financial Crisis
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cetorelli, Nicola & Goldberg, Linda S., 2012. "Liquidity management of U.S. global banks: Internal capital markets in the great recession," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 299-311.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Linda S. Goldberg, 2011. "Liquidity management of U.S. global banks: Internal capital markets in the great recession," NBER Working Papers 17355, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Linda S. Goldberg, 2011. "Liquidity management of U.S. global banks: internal capital markets in the Great Recession," Staff Reports 511, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Sudheer Chava & Amiyatosh Purnanandam, 2006.
"The effect of a banking crisis on bank-dependent borrowers,"
1030, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Chava, Sudheer & Purnanandam, Amiyatosh, 2011. "The effect of banking crisis on bank-dependent borrowers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 116-135, January.
- Richard M. Levich, 2012. "FX Counterparty Risk and Trading Activity in Currency Forward and Futures Markets," NBER Working Papers 18256, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric S. Rosengren & Joe Peek, 2000. "Collateral Damage: Effects of the Japanese Bank Crisis on Real Activity in the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 30-45, March.
- Becker, Bo & Ivashina, Victoria, 2014.
"Cyclicality of credit supply: Firm level evidence,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 62(C), pages 76-93.
- Levich, Richard M., 2012. "FX counterparty risk and trading activity in currency forward and futures markets," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 102-110.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Jeremy C. Stein, 1991. "Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment: An Imperfect Capital Markets Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1191-1217.
- Taylor, Mark P, 1987. "Covered Interest Parity: A High-Frequency, High-Quality Data Study," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 54(216), pages 429-38, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedgfe:2012-74. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marlene Vikor)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.