Determinants of voluntary bank disclosure: evidence from Japanese Shinkin banks
Disclosure is widely regarded as a necessary condition for market discipline in a modern financial sector. However, the determinants of disclosure decisions are still unknown, particularly among banks. This paper investigates the determinants of disclosure by Japanese Shinkin banks in 1996 and 1997. This period is unique because disclosure by these banks was voluntary during this time. We find that banks with more serious bad loan problems, more leverage, less competitive pressure, and smaller banks were less likely to choose to voluntarily disclose. These results suggest that there may be a role for compulsory disclosure, as weak banks appear to disproportionately avoid voluntary disclosure.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 101 Market Street, MS 1130, San Francisco, CA 94105-1579|
Phone: (415) 974-3184
Fax: (415) 974-2168
Web page: http://www.frbsf.org/economics/pbc/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yamori, N. & Baba, T., T., 1999.
"Japanese Management Views on Overseas Exchange Listings: Survey Results,"
pb99-05, Economisch Institut voor het Midden en Kleinbedrijf-.
- Nobuyoshi Yamori & Taija Baba, 1999. "Japanese management views on overseas exchange listings: survey results," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 99-05, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Calomiris, Charles W., 1999. "Building an incentive-compatible safety net," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(10), pages 1499-1519, October.
- Skinner, Douglas J., 1997. "Earnings disclosures and stockholder lawsuits," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 249-282, November.
- Singleton, W. R. & Globerman, Steven, 2002. "The changing nature of financial disclosure in Japan," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 95-111.
- Cordella, Tito & Levy Yeyati, Eduardo, 1998.
"Public Disclosure and Bank Failures,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1886, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark M. Spiegel, 1999. "Moral hazard under the Japanese "convoy" banking system," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 3-13.
- Flannery, Mark J & Sorescu, Sorin M, 1996. " Evidence of Bank Market Discipline in Subordinated Debenture Yields: 1983-1991," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(4), pages 1347-77, September.
- Jeffery W. Gunther & Robert R. Moore, 2000. "Financial statements and reality: do troubled banks tell all?," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Q3, pages 30-35.
- Anil K. Kashyap, 2002.
"Sorting out Japan's financial crisis,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q IV, pages 42-55.
- DeYoung, Robert, et al, 2001. "The Information Content of Bank Exam Ratings and Subordinated Debt Prices," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(4), pages 900-925, November.
- Core, John E., 2001. "A review of the empirical disclosure literature: discussion," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 441-456, September.
- Healy, Paul M. & Palepu, Krishna G., 2001. "Information asymmetry, corporate disclosure, and the capital markets: A review of the empirical disclosure literature," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 405-440, September.
- Darrough, Masako N. & Stoughton, Neal M., 1990. "Financial disclosure policy in an entry game," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-3), pages 219-243, January.
- Donald Morgan & Kevin Stiroh, 2001. "Market Discipline of Banks: The Asset Test," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 195-208, October.
- Fukuyama, Hirofumi, 1996. "Returns to scale and efficiency of credit associations in Japan: A nonparametric frontier approach," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 259-277, September.
- Thomas F. Cargill & Michael M. Hutchison & Takatoshi Ito, 1997. "The Political Economy of Japanese Monetary Policy," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262032473, June.
- Mark M. Spiegel & Nobuyoshi Yamori, 2004. "The Evolution Of Bank Resolution Policies In Japan: Evidence From Market Equity Values," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 27(1), pages 115-132.
- Michael M. Hutchison, 1997. "Financial crises and bank supervision: new directions for Japan?," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue dec12.
- John S. Jordan & Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1999. "Impact of greater bank disclosure amidst a banking crisis," Working Papers 99-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Diana Hancock & Myron L. Kwast, 2001. "Using subordinated debt to monitor bank holding companies: is it feasible?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-22, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Diana Hancock & Myron Kwast, 2001. "Using Subordinated Debt to Monitor Bank Holding Companies: Is it Feasible?," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 147-187, October.
- Hesna Genay, 1999. "Japanese banks and market discipline," Chicago Fed Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Aug.
- Teoh, Siew Hong & Hwang, Chuan Yang, 1991. "Nondisclosure and Adverse Disclosure as Signals of Firm Value," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(2), pages 283-313.
- Kano, Masaji & Tsutsui, Yoshiro, 2003. "Geographical segmentation in Japanese bank loan markets," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 157-174, March.
- Nobuyoshi Yamori, 1999. "Stock Market Reaction to the Bank Liquidation in Japan: A Case for the Informational Effect Hypothesis," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 57-68, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedfpb:03-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diane Rosenberger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.