Determinants of voluntary bank disclosure: evidence from Japanese Shinkin banks
Disclosure is widely regarded as a necessary condition for market discipline in a modern financial sector. However, the determinants of disclosure decisions are still unknown, particularly among banks. This paper investigates the determinants of disclosure by Japanese Shinkin banks in 1996 and 1997. This period is unique because disclosure by these banks was voluntary during this time. We find that banks with more serious bad loan problems, more leverage, less competitive pressure, and smaller banks were less likely to choose to voluntarily disclose. These results suggest that there may be a role for compulsory disclosure, as weak banks appear to disproportionately avoid voluntary disclosure.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 101 Market Street, MS 1130, San Francisco, CA 94105-1579|
Phone: (415) 974-3184
Fax: (415) 974-2168
Web page: http://www.frbsf.org/economics/pbc/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark M. Spiegel & Nobuyoshi Yamori, 2004. "The Evolution Of Bank Resolution Policies In Japan: Evidence From Market Equity Values," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 27(1), pages 115-132.
- repec:bla:joares:v:32:y:1994:i:1:p:38-60 is not listed on IDEAS
- Donald Morgan & Kevin Stiroh, 2001. "Market Discipline of Banks: The Asset Test," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 20(2), pages 195-208, October.
- Diana Hancock & Myron Kwast, 2001.
"Using Subordinated Debt to Monitor Bank Holding Companies: Is it Feasible?,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 20(2), pages 147-187, October.
- Diana Hancock & Myron L. Kwast, 2001. "Using subordinated debt to monitor bank holding companies: is it feasible?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-22, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Flannery, Mark J & Sorescu, Sorin M, 1996. " Evidence of Bank Market Discipline in Subordinated Debenture Yields: 1983-1991," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(4), pages 1347-1377, September.
- Singleton, W. R. & Globerman, Steven, 2002. "The changing nature of financial disclosure in Japan," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 95-111.
- Jeffery W. Gunther & Robert R. Moore, 2000. "Financial statements and reality: do troubled banks tell all?," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Q3, pages 30-35.
- Anil K. Kashyap, 2002. "Sorting out Japan's financial crisis," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q IV, pages 42-55.
- Anil K. Kashyap, 2002. "Sorting Out Japan's Financial Crisis," NBER Working Papers 9384, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas F. Cargill & Michael M. Hutchison & Takatoshi Ito, 1997. "The Political Economy of Japanese Monetary Policy," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262032473, January.
- Hesna Genay, 1999. "Japanese banks and market discipline," Chicago Fed Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Aug.
- Calomiris, Charles W., 1999. "Building an incentive-compatible safety net," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(10), pages 1499-1519, October.
- Skinner, Douglas J., 1997. "Earnings disclosures and stockholder lawsuits," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 249-282, November.
- DeYoung, Robert, et al, 2001. "The Information Content of Bank Exam Ratings and Subordinated Debt Prices," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(4), pages 900-925, November.
- Tito Cordella & Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 1998. "Public Disclosure and Bank Failures," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(1), pages 110-131, March.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Tito Cordella, 1997. "Public Disclosure and Bank Failures," IMF Working Papers 97/96, International Monetary Fund.
- Cordella, Tito & Levy Yeyati, Eduardo, 1998. "Public Disclosure and Bank Failures," CEPR Discussion Papers 1886, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Teoh, Siew Hong & Hwang, Chuan Yang, 1991. "Nondisclosure and Adverse Disclosure as Signals of Firm Value," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(2), pages 283-313.
- Darrough, Masako N. & Stoughton, Neal M., 1990. "Financial disclosure policy in an entry game," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-3), pages 219-243, January.
- Nobuyoshi Yamori & Taija Baba, 1999. "Japanese management views on overseas exchange listings: survey results," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 99-05, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Yamori, N. & Baba, T., T., 1999. "Japanese Management Views on Overseas Exchange Listings: Survey Results," Papers pb99-05, Economisch Institut voor het Midden en Kleinbedrijf-.
- Core, John E., 2001. "A review of the empirical disclosure literature: discussion," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 441-456, September.
- Mark M. Spiegel, 1999. "Moral hazard under the Japanese "convoy" banking system," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 3-13.
- Nobuyoshi Yamori, 1999. "Stock Market Reaction to the Bank Liquidation in Japan: A Case for the Informational Effect Hypothesis," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 15(1), pages 57-68, February.
- Fukuyama, Hirofumi, 1996. "Returns to scale and efficiency of credit associations in Japan: A nonparametric frontier approach," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 259-277, September.
- John S. Jordan & Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1999. "Impact of greater bank disclosure amidst a banking crisis," Working Papers 99-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Kano, Masaji & Tsutsui, Yoshiro, 2003. "Geographical segmentation in Japanese bank loan markets," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 157-174, March.
- Michael M. Hutchison, 1997. "Financial crises and bank supervision: new directions for Japan?," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue dec12.
- Healy, Paul M. & Palepu, Krishna G., 2001. "Information asymmetry, corporate disclosure, and the capital markets: A review of the empirical disclosure literature," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 405-440, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)