When does financial liberalization make banks risky? : an empirical examination of Argentina, Canada and Mexico
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Gruben, William C. & Koo, Jahyeong & Moore, Robert R., 1999. "When does financial liberalization make banks risky? an empirical examination of Argentina, Canada and Mexico," Working Papers 9905, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
References listed on IDEAS
- A. Michael Spence, 1979. "Investment Strategy and Growth in a New Market," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 1-19, Spring.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999.
"The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gerald Caprio & Michael Dooley & Danny Leipziger & Carl Walsh, 1996.
"The lender of last resort function under a currency board: The case of Argentina,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 625-650, March.
- Caprio, Gerard Jr. & Dooley, Michael & Leipziger, Danny & Walsh, Carl, 1996. "The lender of last resort function under a currency board : the case of Argentina," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1648, The World Bank.
- Amoako-Adu, Ben & Smith, Brian F., 1995. "The wealth effects of deregulation of Canadian financial institutions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(7), pages 1211-1236, October.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998.
"Law and Finance,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(6), pages 1113-1155, December.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, "undated". "Law and Finance," Working Paper 19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ronald I. McKinnon & Huw Pill, 1996. "Credible Liberalizations and International Capital Flows: The "Overborrowing Syndrome"," NBER Chapters,in: Financial Deregulation and Integration in East Asia, NBER-EASE Volume 5, pages 7-50 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlos E. Zarazaga, 1995. "Argentina, Mexico, and currency boards: another case of rules versus discretion," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Q IV, pages 14-24.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1993. "A Test of Competition in Canadian Banking," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 49-61, February.
- Sherrill Shaffer, 1994. "Evidence of monopoly power among credit card banks," Working Papers 94-16, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Calomiris, Charles W., 1990. "Is Deposit Insurance Necessary? A Historical Perspective," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 50(02), pages 283-295, June.
- Jayanti, S. V. & Whyte, Ann Marie & Quang Do, A., 1996. "Bank failures and contagion effects: Evidence from Britain and Canada," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 103-116, May.
- Sealey, Calvin W, Jr & Lindley, James T, 1977. "Inputs, Outputs, and a Theory of Production and Cost at Depository Financial Institutions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1251-1266, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Montgomery, Heather, 2003. "The role of foreign banks in post-crisis Asia: the importance of method of entry," MPRA Paper 33031, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- M. Kabir Hassan & M. Ershad Hussain, 2006. "Depositor Discipline and Bank Risk-Taking Behavior: Evidence From the South-East Asian Financial Crises," NFI Working Papers 2006-WP-13, Indiana State University, Scott College of Business, Networks Financial Institute.
- G.G. Kaufman, 2000. "Banking and Currency Crises and Systemic Risk: A Taxonomy and Review," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 48, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Janek Uiboupin, 2005. "Short-Term Effects of Foreign Bank Entry on Bank Performance in Selected CEE Countries," Bank of Estonia Working Papers 2005-4, Bank of Estonia, revised 10 Oct 2005.
- Jennifer S. Crystal & B. Gerard Dages & Linda S. Goldberg, 2001. "Does foreign ownership contribute to sounder banks in emerging markets? the Latin American experience," Staff Reports 137, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Helmi Hamdi & Abdelaziz Hakimi & Mouldi Djelassi, 2013.
"Did Financial Liberalization Lead to Bank Fragility? Evidence from Tunisia,"
The International Journal of Business and Finance Research,
The Institute for Business and Finance Research, vol. 7(5), pages 77-88.
- Hamdi, Helmi & Hakimi, Abdelaziz & Djelassi, Mouldi, 2013. "Did financial liberalization lead to bank fragility? Evidence from Tunisia," MPRA Paper 65075, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- B. Gerard Dages & Linda S. Goldberg & Daniel Kinney, 2000.
"Foreign and domestic bank participation in emerging markets: lessons from Mexico and Argentina,"
Economic Policy Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Sep, pages 17-36.
- Linda Goldberg & B. Gerard Dages & Daniel Kinney, 2000. "Foreign and Domestic Bank Participation in Emerging Markets: Lessons from Mexico and Argentina," NBER Working Papers 7714, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Janek Uiboupin, 2004. "Effects Of Foreign Banks Entry On Bank Performance In The Cee Countries," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 33, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- David G. Mayes, 2004.
"An approach to bank insolvency in transition and emerging economies,"
- Mayes, David G., 2004. "An approach to bank insolvency in transition and emerging economies," Research Discussion Papers 4/2004, Bank of Finland.
- Misati, Roseline Nyakerario & Nyamongo, Esman Morekwa, 2012. "Financial liberalization, financial fragility and economic growth in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 150-160.
- Aida Kammoun & Abdelwahed Trabelsi & Chokri Mamoghli, 2011. "Financial Liberalisation and Financial Market Development: The Case of Tunisia," Review of Economics & Finance, Better Advances Press, Canada, vol. 1, pages 57-70, November.
- Robert Lensink & Victor Murinde, 2006. "Does foreign bank entry really stimulate gross domestic investment?," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(8), pages 569-582.
More about this item
KeywordsBanks and banking - Argentina ; Banks and banking - Canada ; Banks and banking - Mexico ; Financial crises;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:feddcl:0399. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Chapman). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/frbdaus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.