Short-Term Effects of Foreign Bank Entry on Bank Performance in Selected CEE Countries
This paper analyses the short-term impact of foreign bank entry on bank performance in ten Central and Eastern European countries. A panel of 319 banks was analysed over the period 1995–2001. The Arellano-Bond dynamic panel estimation technique was used. The results indicate that foreign bank entry is associated with lower beforetax profits, non-interest income, interest income on interest earning assets and loan loss provisions. Foreign bank entry tends to increase the overhead costs of local banks in the short-run. The results generally indicate that foreign bank entry enhances competition on the market. The role the development of the banking sector plays in regard to the effects of foreign bank entry was analysed. Research results show that in more developed banking markets, foreign bank entry is associated less with decreasing incomes and loan loss provisions than in less developed banking markets. In more developed markets, the overhead costs of banks are less likely to increase. The results show that banks with a higher market share react less to foreign banks entering the market.
|Date of creation:||10 Oct 2005|
|Date of revision:||10 Oct 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Estonia bld. 13, 15095 Tallinn, ESTONIA|
Web page: http://www.bankofestonia.info
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Estonia bld. 13, 15095 Tallinn, ESTONIA|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Williams, Barry, 1997. " Positive Theories of Multinational Banking: Eclectic Theory versus Internalisation Theory," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 71-100, March.
- William C. Gruben & Jahyeong Koo & Robert R. Moore, 1999. "When does financial liberalization make banks risky? : an empirical examination of Argentina, Canada and Mexico," Center for Latin America Working Papers 0399, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Williams, Barry, 2003. "Domestic and international determinants of bank profits: Foreign banks in Australia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1185-1210, June.
- King, Robert G. & Levine, Ross, 1993.
"Finance and growth : Schumpeter might be right,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1083, The World Bank.
- B. Gerard Dages & Linda S. Goldberg & Daniel Kinney, 2000.
"Foreign and domestic bank participation in emerging markets: lessons from Mexico and Argentina,"
Economic Policy Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Sep, pages 17-36.
- Linda Goldberg & B. Gerard Dages & Daniel Kinney, 2000. "Foreign and Domestic Bank Participation in Emerging Markets: Lessons from Mexico and Argentina," NBER Working Papers 7714, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1996.
"Financial Dependence and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levine, Ross, 2001. "International Financial Liberalization and Economic Growth," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(4), pages 688-702, November.
- Lensink, Robert & Hermes, Niels, 2004. "The short-term effects of foreign bank entry on domestic bank behaviour: Does economic development matter?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 553-568, March.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung & Hesna Genay & Gregory F. Udell, 1999.
"Globalization of financial institutions: evidence from cross-border banking performance,"
Working Paper Series
WP-99-25, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung & Hesna Genay & Gregory F. Udell, 2000. "Globalization of financial institutions: evidence from cross-border banking performance," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-04, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991. "Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Caprio, Gerard & Honohan, Patrick, 2001. "Finance for Growth: Policy Choices in a Volatile World," MPRA Paper 9929, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Unite, Angelo A. & Sullivan, Michael J., 2003. "The effect of foreign entry and ownership structure on the Philippine domestic banking market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(12), pages 2323-2345, December.
- Ross Levine, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Levine, Ross, 1996. "Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1678, The World Bank.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Lozano-Vivas, Ana & Pastor, Jesús T., 2000. "Cross-Border Performance in European Banking," Research Discussion Papers 24/2000, Bank of Finland.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eea:boewps:wp2005-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peeter Luikmel)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Peeter Luikmel to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.