What determines the output drop after an energy price increase: household or firm energy share?
During the past thirty-five years, energy use as a fraction of output has dropped significantly at both the household and the firm levels. Therefore, we investigate a dynamic stochastic generalized equilibrium model economy's response to an energy price hike for different firm and household energy shares. Simulation results indicate that the economy's output response is mainly determined by the firm energy share. Increasing the household energy share while keeping firm energy share constant actually decreases the output response.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1000 Peachtree St., N.E., Atlanta, Georgia 30309|
Web page: http://www.frbatlanta.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Collard, Fabrice & Juillard, Michel, 1999.
"Accuracy of stochastic perturbuation methods: the case of asset pricing models,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Collard, Fabrice & Juillard, Michel, 2001. "Accuracy of stochastic perturbation methods: The case of asset pricing models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(6-7), pages 979-999, June.
- Karsten Jeske & Rajeev Dhawan, 2006. "Energy and the Macroeconomy: The Role of Consumer Durables," 2006 Meeting Papers 719, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Kim, In-Moo & Loungani, Prakash, 1992.
"The role of energy in real business cycle models,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 173-189, April.
- Rajeev Dhawan & Karsten Jeske, 2008.
"Energy Price Shocks and the Macroeconomy: The Role of Consumer Durables,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(7), pages 1357-1377, October.
- Rajeev Dhawan & Karsten Jeske, 2006. "Energy price shocks and the macroeconomy: the role of consumer durables," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2006-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Rajeev Dhawan & Karsten Jeske, 2007.
"What determines the output drop after an energy price increase: household or firm energy share?,"
FRB Atlanta Working Paper
2007-20, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Dhawan, Rajeev & Jeske, Karsten, 2008. "What determines the output drop after an energy price increase: Household or firm energy share?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 101(3), pages 202-205, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedawp:2007-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elaine Clokey)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.