Nominal and real disturbances and money demand in the Chinese hyperinflation
This paper reexamines the dynamics of hyperinflation by allowing variability in the relative price of capital goods in units of consumption goods that reflects interactions between the real and monetary sectors. The theory generates empirically testable implications that suggest expanding the standard Caganian money demand function to include both anticipated inflation and relative price effects in a nonlinear fashion. Employing data from the post-World War II Chinese hyperinflationary episode, the empirical findings suggest that conventional econometric investigations of money demand during hyperinflation overlook important nonlinear interactions between real and monetary activities and, hence, underestimate the welfare costs of hyperinflation.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1000 Peachtree St., N.E., Atlanta, Georgia 30309|
Web page: http://www.frbatlanta.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rogers, John H & Wang, Ping, 1993.
"Sources of Fluctuations in Relative Prices: Evidence from High Inflation Countries,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 589-605, November.
- Rogers, J.H. & Wang, P., 1990. "Sources of Fluctuations in Relative Prices: Evidence from High Inflation Countries," Papers 12-90-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Yip, C.K. & Wang, P., 1989.
"Alternative Approaches To Money And Growth,"
8-89-4, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Policano, Andrew J. & Choi, Eun Kwan, 1978. "The effects of relative price changes on the household's demand for money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 743-753, November.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1980. "Equilibrium in a Pure Currency Economy," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(2), pages 203-220, April.
- Tallman, Ellis W. & Wang, Ping, 1995.
"Money demand and the relative price of capital goods in hyperinflations,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 375-404, November.
- Tallman, E.W. & Wang, P., 1993. "Money Demand and Relative Prices During Episodes of Hyperinflation," Papers 1-93-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Ellis W. Tallman & Ping Wang, 1991. "Money demand and relative prices in the German hyperinflation," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 91-8, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Ellis W. Tallman & Ping Wang, 1992. "Money demand and relative prices in hyperinflations: evidence from Germany and China," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 92-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Abel, Andrew & Dornbusch, Rudiger & Huizinga, John & Marcus, Alan, 1979. "Money demand during hyperinflation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 97-104, January.
- Stockman, Alan C., 1981. "Anticipated inflation and the capital stock in a cash in-advance economy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 387-393.
- Clements, Kenneth W & Nguyen, Phuong, 1980. "Money Demand, Consumer Demand and Relative Prices in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 56(155), pages 338-346, December.
- Pagan, Adrian, 1984. "Econometric Issues in the Analysis of Regressions with Generated Regressors," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(1), pages 221-247, February.
- Peter M. Garber, 1981.
"Transition from Inflation to Price Stability,"
NBER Working Papers
0728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Garber, Peter M., 1982. "Transition from inflation to price stability," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 11-42, January.
- Frenkel, Jacob A, 1977. "The Forward Exchange Rate, Expectations, and the Demand for Money: The German Hyperinflation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 653-670, September.
- Tang, D.P. & Wang, P., 1993.
"On Relative Price Variability and Hyperinflation,"
5-93-5, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Casella, Alessandra & Feinstein, Jonathan S, 1990. "Economic Exchange during Hyperinflation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(1), pages 1-27, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedawp:2002-4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elaine Clokey)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.