Transition from Inflation to Price Stability
This paper provides a detailed discussion of the real phenomena that materialized in the stabilization period which followed the German hyper-inflation. Significant real dislocations arose after the monetary reform; and these can be attributed to a government policy which subsidized heavy industry through the inflation tax proceeds. The "credibility problem" appears not to have been a significant factor in the post-reform dislocation.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1981|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Garber, Peter M. "Transition from Inflation to Price Stability." Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Vol. 16, (Spring 1982), pp. 11-41.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Unemployment Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 353-57, May.
- Fellner, William, 1980. "The Valid Core of Rationality Hypotheses in the Theory of Expectations," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 12(4), pages 763-87, November.
- Cagan, Phillip, 1980. "Reflections on Rational Expectations," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 12(4), pages 826-32, November.
- Taylor, John B, 1975. "Monetary Policy during a Transition to Rational Expectations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(5), pages 1009-21, October.
- Okun, Arthur M, 1978. "Efficient Disinflationary Policies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 348-52, May.
- Flood, Robert P & Garber, Peter M, 1980. "An Economic Theory of Monetary Reform," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 24-58, February.
- George L. Perry, 1978. "Slowing the Wage-Price Spiral: The Macroeconomic View," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 9(2), pages 259-299.
- Thomas J. Sargent, 1981.
"The ends of four big inflations,"
158, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Laurence H. Meyer & Robert H. Rasche, 1980. "On the costs and benefits of anti-inflation policies," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Feb, pages 3-14.
- McCallum, Bennett T, 1980. "Rational Expectations and Macroeconomic Stabilization Policy: An Overview," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 12(4), pages 716-46, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:0728. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.