Devaluation (levels versus rates) and balance of payments in a cash-in-advance economy
This paper investigates the consequences of the currency devalution, both in levels and rates, on the balance of payments in a cash-in-advance economy with finite horizons, endogenous capital accumulation and international capital immobility. In this context, a once and for all currency devaluation induces a balance of payments surplus, whereas a sustained increase in the rate of devaluation produces, in principle, an ambiguous effect on the balance of payments. If however non-restrictive assumptions on some structural parameters are made, an increase in the devaluation rate leads to a balance of payments surplus, the exact opposite of Calvo's result (1981).
|Date of creation:||14 Apr 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via De Sanctis, 86100 Campobasso|
Web page: http://www.unimol.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marini, Giancarlo & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1987.
"Monetary and Fiscal Policy in an Optimizing Model with Capital Accumulation and Finite Lives,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
167, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marini, Giancarlo & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1988. "Monetary and Fiscal Policy in an Optimising Model with Capital Accumulation and Finite Lives," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(392), pages 772-786, September.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1980. "Equilibrium in a Pure Currency Economy," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(2), pages 203-220, April.
- Gomme, Paul, 1993.
"Money and growth revisited : Measuring the costs of inflation in an endogenous growth model,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 51-77, August.
- Gomme, P., 1993. "Money and Growth Revisited : Measuring the Costs of Inflation in an Endogenous Growth Model," Discussion Papers dp93-03, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Paul Gomme, 1991. "Money and growth revisited," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 55, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Weil, Philippe, 1991. "Is Money Net Wealth?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(1), pages 37-53, February.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1981. "Devaluation: Levels versus rates," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 165-172, May.
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 1984.
"Debt, Deficits and Finite Horizons,"
NBER Working Papers
1389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1997. "International Macroeconomic Dynamics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262201119, September.
- Feenstra, Robert C, 1985. "Anticipated Devaluations, Currency Flight, and Direct Trade Controls in a Monetary Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 386-401, June.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Giovannini, Alberto, 1990. "Monetary policy in the open economy," Handbook of Monetary Economics, in: B. M. Friedman & F. H. Hahn (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 23, pages 1231-1303 Elsevier.
- Yip, C.K. & Wang, P., 1989.
"Alternative Approaches To Money And Growth,"
8-89-4, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Van Der Ploeg, Frederick & Marini, Giancarlo, 1988. "Finite horizons and the non-neutrality of money," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 57-61.
- Stockman, Alan C., 1981. "Anticipated inflation and the capital stock in a cash in-advance economy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 387-393.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1986. "Functional equivalence between liquidity costs and the utility of money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 271-291, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mol:ecsdps:esdp03001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Lupi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.