Monetary and Fiscal Policy in Interdependent Economies with Capital Accumulation, Death and Population Growth
A two-country, optimizing model with capital accumulation, purchasing power parity, floating exchange rates, uncovered interest parity, perfect foresight, finite lives and population growth is developed and analyzed. For the special case of a zero birth rate, individuals are indifferent between tax-finance and bond-finance or money-finance, so that both Ricardian debt-neutrality and monetary super-neutrality prevail. The general case is analyzed by decomposing the model into global averages and differences. A tax-financed increase in monetary growth leads to an interdependent Mundell-Tobin effect in which the world real interest rate falls and capital accumulation increases. A home monetary expansion leads to an increase in home consumption, a fall in foreign consumption and an increase in home holdings of foreign assets. If the expansion occurs through open-market operations, money is super-neutral. The international spillover effects of tax-financed and bond-financed increases in government spending and of bond-financed increases in lump-sum taxation are also considered.
|Date of creation:||Sep 1988|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van der Ploeg, F., 1988.
"Monetary and fiscal policy in interdependent economies with capital accumulation, death and population growth,"
1988-7, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1988. "Monetary and Fiscal Policy in Interdependent Economies with Capital Accumulation, Death and Population Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 270, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kehoe, Patrick J., 1987.
"Coordination of fiscal policies in a world economy,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 349-376, May.
- Patrick J. Kehoe, 1986. "Coordination of fiscal policies in a world economy," Staff Report 98, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Buiter, Willem H, 1988. "Death, Birth, Productivity Growth and Debt Neutrality," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 279-93, June.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1985.
"Debt, Deficits, and Finite Horizons,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 223-47, April.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1986. "Functional equivalence between liquidity costs and the utility of money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 271-291, March.
- Barro, Robert J., 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
3451399, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Buiter, W, 1982.
"Saddlepoint Problems in Continuous Time Rational Expectations Models : A General Method and Some Macroeconomic Examples,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
200, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Buiter, Willem H, 1984. "Saddlepoint Problems in Continuous Time Rational Expectations Models: A General Method and Some Macroeconomic Examples," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 665-80, May.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1984. "Saddlepoint Problems in Contifuous Time Rational Expectations Models: A General Method and Some Macroeconomic Ehamples," NBER Technical Working Papers 0020, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marini, Giancarlo & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1987.
"Monetary and Fiscal Policy in an Optimizing Model with Capital Accumulation and Finite Lives,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
167, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marini, Giancarlo & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1988. "Monetary and Fiscal Policy in an Optimising Model with Capital Accumulation and Finite Lives," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(392), pages 772-86, September.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1979. "Capital Accumulation on the Transition Path in a Monetary Optimizing Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(6), pages 1433-39, November.
- David Currie & Paul Levine, 1985. "Macroeconomic Policy Design in an Interdependent World," NBER Chapters, in: International Economic Policy Coordination, pages 228-273 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- van der ploeg, F., 1987. "Coordination of optimal taxation in a two-country equilibrium model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 279-285.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1974. "Money and the Production Function," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(4), pages 517-33, December.
- Brock, William A, 1974. "Money and Growth: The Case of Long Run Perfect Foresight," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 15(3), pages 750-77, October.
- Calvo, Guillermo A & Obstfeld, Maurice, 1988. "Optimal Time-Consistent Fiscal Policy with Finite Lifetimes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 411-32, March.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1979. "Anticipations and the Nonneutrality of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(2), pages 225-52, April.
- Van Der Ploeg, Frederick & Marini, Giancarlo, 1988. "Finite horizons and the non-neutrality of money," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 57-61.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:270. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.