Velocity of money, equilibrium (in)determinacy and endogenous growth
We show that in a canonical one-sector AK model of endogenous growth with a generalized cash-in-advance constraint, the growth and velocity effects of money are closely related to the local stability properties of the economy's balanced growth paths. When a positive fraction (excluding 100%) of gross investment is subject to the liquidity constraint, the economy displays saddle-path stability and negative effects of money on output growth and velocity due to a dominating portfolio substitution effect. By contrast, when the opposing intertemporal substitution effect dominates, the economy exhibits indeterminacy and sunspots, as well as a positive correlation between money, output growth and velocity. Finally, when real balances are required only for the household's consumption purchases, money becomes superneutral in the growth-rate and also in the velocity sense because the equilibrium real rate of return on capital remains constant.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur & Herbertsson, Tryggvi Thor, 2001.
"Does inflation matter for growth?,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 405-428, December.
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur & Herbertsson, Tryggvi Thor, 1996. "Does Inflation Matter for Growth?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1503, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert J. Barro, 2013. "Inflation and Economic Growth," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 14(1), pages 121-144, May.
- Robert J. Barro, 1995. "Inflation and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 5326, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Barro, 2012. "Inflation and Economic Growth," CEMA Working Papers 568, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- De Gregorio, Jose, 1993. "Inflation, taxation, and long-run growth," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 271-298, June.
- Bullard, James & Keating, John W., 1995. "The long-run relationship between inflation and output in postwar economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 477-496, December.
- Suen, Ming-Hon & Yip, Chong K., 2005. "Superneutrality, indeterminacy and endogenous growth," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 579-595, December.
- Ming Hon Suen & Chong K. Yip, 2001. "Superneutrality, Indeterminacy, and Endogenous Growth," Departmental Working Papers _136, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Gomme, Paul, 1993. "Money and growth revisited : Measuring the costs of inflation in an endogenous growth model," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 51-77, August.
- Paul Gomme, 1991. "Money and growth revisited," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 55, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Gomme, P., 1993. "Money and Growth Revisited : Measuring the Costs of Inflation in an Endogenous Growth Model," Discussion Papers dp93-03, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Roubini, Nouriel & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992. "Financial repression and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 5-30, July.
- Nouriel Roubini & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1991. "Financial Repression and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 3876, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wang, Ping & Yip, Chong K, 1992. "Alternative Approaches to Money and Growth," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 24(4), pages 553-562, November.
- Yip, C.K. & Wang, P., 1989. "Alternative Approaches To Money And Growth," Papers 8-89-4, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Kormendi, Roger C. & Meguire, Philip G., 1985. "Macroeconomic determinants of growth: Cross-country evidence," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 141-163, September.
- Palivos, Theodore & Wang, Ping & Zhang, Jianbo, 1993. "Velocity of money in a modified cash-in-advance economy: Theory and evidence," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 225-248.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1980. "Equilibrium in a Pure Currency Economy," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(2), pages 203-220, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)