Growth and Distributional Effects of Inflation with Progressive Taxation
This paper examines the growth and income distribution effects of inflation in a growing economy with heterogeneous households and progressive income taxation. Assuming that the cash-in-advance constraint applies to investment as well as to consumption spending, we show that a higher growth of monetary supply yields a negative impact on growth and an ambiguous effect on income distribution. Numerical example with plausible parameter values, however, demonstrate that those long-run effects of inflation tax are rather small. In contrast, fiscal distortion caused by progressive taxation yield significant impacts on growth and distribution
|Date of creation:||20 Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Been-Lon Chen & Mei Hsu & Chia-Hui Lu, 2007.
"Inflation and Growth: Impatience and a Qualitative Equivalence,"
IEAS Working Paper : academic research
07-A007, Institute of Economics, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Been-Lon Chen & Mei Hsu & Chia-Hui Lu, 2008. "Inflation and Growth: Impatience and a Qualitative Equivalence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(6), pages 1309-1323, 09.
- Chen, Shu-Hua & Guo, Jang-Ting, 2008. "Velocity of money, equilibrium (in)determinacy and endogenous growth," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 1085-1096, September.
- Mino, Kazuo, 1997. "Long-Run Effects of Monetary Expansion in a Two-Sector Model of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 635-655, October.
- Jones, Larry E. & Manuelli, Rodolfo E., 1995.
"Growth and the effects of inflation,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 19(8), pages 1405-1428, November.
- Sailesh K. Jha & Ping Wang & Chong K.Yip, 2000.
"Dynamics in a Transactions-Based Monetary Growth Model,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0005, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Jha, Sailesh K. & Wang, Ping & Yip, Chong K., 2002. "Dynamics in a transactions-based monetary growth model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 611-635, April.
- Guo, Jang-Ting & Lansing, Kevin J., 1998.
"Indeterminacy and Stabilization Policy,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 481-490, October.
- Sarte, Pierre-Daniel G., 1997. "Progressive taxation and income inequality in dynamic competitive equilibrium," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 145-171, October.
- Temple, Jonathan, 2000. " Inflation and Growth: Stories Short and Tall," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 395-426, September.
- Meng, Qinglai, 2002. "Monetary policy and multiple equilibria in a cash-in-advance economy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 165-170, January.
- Marquis, Milton H & Reffett, Kevin L, 1995. "The Inflation Tax in a Convex Model of Equilibrium Growth," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 62(245), pages 109-21, February.
- Li Wenli & Pierre -Daniel Sarte, 2004. "Progressive Taxation and Long-Run Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(5), pages 1705-1716, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:26113. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.