Long-Run Impacts of Inflation Tax with Endogenous Capital Depreciation
This paper examines the long-run impact of inflation tax in the context of a generalized Ak growth model in which the rate of capital depreciation is endogenously determined. We assume that the rate of capital depreciation positively depends on capital utilization rate and negatively depends on maintenance expenditures. Money is introduced via a cash-in-advance constraint that may apply to the maintenance expenditures as well as to consumption and investment spendings. We find that the long-run effects of inflation tax are more complex than those obtained in the monetary Ak growth model with a fixed capital depreciation rate. In particular, the relation between inflation and growth is highly sensitive to the specification of the capital depreciation technology as well as to the forms of cash-in-advance constraints.
Volume (Year): 30 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:58:p:05 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2004:i:2:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jang-Ting Guo & Kevin J. Lansing, 2005.
"Maintenance expenditures and indeterminacy under increasing returns to scale,"
Working Paper Series
2005-10, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Jang-Ting Guo & Kevin J. Lansing, 2007. "Maintenance expenditures and indeterminacy under increasing returns to scale," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 3(2), pages 147-158.
- Jun-ichi Itaya & Kazuo Mino, 2005.
"Technology, Preference Structure, and the Growth Effect of Money Supply,"
Discussion Papers in Economics and Business
05-35, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Itaya, Jun-Ichi & Mino, Kazuo, 2007. "Technology, Preference Structure, And The Growth Effect Of Money Supply," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(05), pages 589-612, November.
- Chen, Shu-Hua & Guo, Jang-Ting, 2008. "Velocity of money, equilibrium (in)determinacy and endogenous growth," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 1085-1096, September.
- Omar Licandro & Luis A. Puch & J. Ramón Ruiz-Tamarit, 2001.
"Optimal growth under endogenous depreciation, capital utilization and maintenance costs,"
Fundación SEPI, vol. 25(3), pages 543-559, September.
- Omar Licandro & Luis A. Puch González & J. Ramón Ruiz Tamaritz, 2001. "Optimal Growth under Endogeneous Depreciation, Capital Utilization and Maintenance Costs," Documentos de Trabajo del ICAE 0101, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico.
- Omar Licandro & Luis A. Puch & J. Ramón Ruiz-Tamarit, . "Optimal Growth under Endogenous Depreciation, Capital Utilization and Maintenance Costs," Working Papers 2000-23, FEDEA.
- Seiya Fujisaki & Kazuo Mino, 2009.
"Long-Run Impacts of Inflation Tax in the Presence of Multiple Capital Goods,"
AccessEcon, vol. 29(3), pages 1644-1652.
- Fujisaki, Seiya & Mino, Kazuo, 2009. "Long-Run Impacts of Inflation Tax in the Presence of Multiple Capital Goods," MPRA Paper 16964, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2008:i:13:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- J. Aznar-Marquez & J.R. Ruiz-Tamarit, 2001.
"Endogenous Growth, Capital Utilization and Depreciation,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2001037, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- J. Aznar-Márquez & J. R. Ruiz-Tamarit, . "Endogenous Growth, Capital Utilization and Depreciation," Working Papers 2004-21, FEDEA.
- Jang-Ting Guo & Shu-Hua Chen, 2008. "On the growth and velocity effects of money," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 5(13), pages 1-7.
- Jha, Sailesh K. & Wang, Ping & Yip, Chong K., 2002.
"Dynamics in a transactions-based monetary growth model,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 611-635, April.
- Sailesh K. Jha & Ping Wang & Chong K.Yip, 2000. "Dynamics in a Transactions-Based Monetary Growth Model," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0005, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & James A. Schmitz, 1999. "Maintenance and repair: too big to ignore," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall, pages 2-13.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2007:i:11:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-09-00431. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.