Evaluating the existence of structural change in the brazilian term structure of interest: evidence based on cointegration models with structural break
This paper investigates whether there is evidence of structural change in the Brazilian term structure of interest rates. Multivariate cointegration techniques are used to verify this evidence. Two econometrics models are estimated. The rst one is a Vector Autoregressive Model with Error Correction Mechanism (VECM) with smooth transition in the deterministic coe¢ cients (Ripatti and Saikkonen ). The second one is a VECM with abrupt structural change formulated by Hansen . Two datasets were analysed. The rst one contains a nominal interest rate with maturity up to three years. The second data set focuses on maturity up to one year. The rst data set focuses on a sample period from 1995 to 2010 and the second from 1998 to 2010. The frequency is monthly. The estimated models suggest the existence of structural change in the Brazilian term structure. It was possible to document the existence of multiple regimes using both techniques for both databases. The risk premium for di¤erent spreads varied considerably during the earliest period of both samples and seemed to converge to stable and lower values at the end of the sample period. Long-term risk premiums seemed to converge to inter-national standards, although the Brazilian term structure is still subject to liquidity problems for longer maturities.
|Date of creation:||17 Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rua Itapeva, 474, 13o andar, CEP 01332-000, São Paulo - SP|
Phone: 55 (011) 3799-3350
Fax: 55 (011) 3799-3357
Web page: http://eesp.fgv.br
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Osmani Teixeira de Carvalho Guillén & Benjamin M. Tabak?, 2007.
"Characterizing The Brazilian Term Structure Of Interest Rates,"
Anais do XXXV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 35th Brazilian Economics Meeting]
108, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Osmani Teixeira De Carvalho Guillen & Benjamin M. Tabak, 2009. "Characterising the Brazilian term structure of interest rates," International Journal of Monetary Economics and Finance, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 2(2), pages 103-114.
- Osmani T. Guillen & Benjamin M. Tabak, 2008. "Characterizing the Brazilian Term Structure of Interest Rates," Working Papers Series 158, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Saikkonen, Pentti, 2008. "Stability Of Regime Switching Error Correction Models Under Linear Cointegration," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(01), pages 294-318, February.
- Pagan, A.R. & Hall, A.D. & Martin, V., 1995. "Modelling the Term Structure," Papers 284, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Giuseppe Cavaliere & Anders Rahbek & A. M. Robert Taylor, 2008.
"Testing for Co-integration in Vector Autoregressions with Non-Stationary Volatility,"
08-34, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Cavaliere, Giuseppe & Rahbek, Anders & Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2010. "Testing for co-integration in vector autoregressions with non-stationary volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 158(1), pages 7-24, September.
- Giuseppe Cavaliere & Anders Rahbek & A. M. Robert Taylor, 2007. "Testing for co-integration in vector autoregressions with non-stationary volatility," Discussion Papers 07/02, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Giuseppe Cavaliere & Anders Rahbek & A.M.Robert Taylor, 2008. "Testing for Co-integration in Vector Autoregressions with Non-Stationary Volatility," CREATES Research Papers 2008-50, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Ripatti, Antti & null, Pentti, 2001. "Vector Autoregressive Processes With Nonlinear Time Trends In Cointegrating Relations," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(04), pages 577-597, September.
- Gonzalo, Jesús & Pitarakis, Jean-Yves, 2006.
"Threshold effects in cointegrating relationships,"
UC3M Working papers. Economics
we20060621, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Gonzalo, J. & Pitarakis, J., 2005. "Threshold effects in cointegrating relationships," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0506, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Dennis Kristensen & Anders Rahbek, 2007. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Nonlinear Error-Correction Models," CREATES Research Papers 2007-38, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Saikkonen, Pentti, 2001. "Statistical Inference In Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models With Nonlinear Time Trends In Cointegrating Relations," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(02), pages 327-356, April.
- Peter Reinhard Hansen, 2000.
"Structural Changes in the Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Model,"
2000-20, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Peter Reinhard, 2003. "Structural changes in the cointegrated vector autoregressive model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 261-295, June.
- Bent Nielsen & Takamitsu Kurita, 2004.
"Short-run parameter changes in a cointegrated vector autoregressive model,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2005-W01, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Takamitsu Kurita & Bent Nielsen, 2005. "Short-Run Parameter Changes in a Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Model," Economics Papers 2005-W01, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Ribeiro, Priscila Fernandes & Pereira, Pedro L. Valls, 2010. "Economic cycles and term structure: application to Brazil," Textos para discussão 259, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- José Valentim Machado Vicente & Osmani Teixeira de Carvalho Guillen, 2010.
"Do Inflation-linked Bonds Contain Information about Future Inflation?,"
Working Papers Series
214, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Vicente, José Valentim Machado & Guillen, Osmani Teixeira de Carvalho, 2013. "Do inflation-linked bonds contain information about future inflation?," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 67(2), June.
- Engsted, Tom & Tanggaard, Carsten, 1994. "Cointegration and the US term structure," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 167-181, January.
- Saikkonen, Pentti, 2001. "Consistent Estimation In Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models With Nonlinear Time Trends In Cointegrating Relations," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(02), pages 296-326, April.
- Robert J. Shiller & J. Huston McCulloch, 1987.
"The Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
2341, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Anthony D & Anderson, Heather M & Granger, Clive W J, 1992. "A Cointegration Analysis of Treasury Bill Yields," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(1), pages 116-26, February.
- Benjamin Miranda Tabak & Sandro Canesso de Andrade, 2001. "Testing the Expectations Hypothesis in the Brazilian Term Structure of Interest Rates," Working Papers Series 30, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fgv:eesptd:314. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Núcleo de Computação da EPGE)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.