Studies on the Effects of Property Taxation, Rent Control and Housing Allowances
This thesis consists of an introduction to the economic analysis of housing markets (Chapter 1) and three studies each analyzing different housing policy instruments. Chapter 2 examines the effect on housing construction of the Finnish property tax system. The focus is on the effects of taxing undeveloped land at a higher rate than developed land. Theoretical analysis indicates that pre-development land tax should lead to faster development but a side-effect of this is that the density of development may be affected too. According to empirical results, a higher pre-development land tax increases single family housing starts but does not affect development density measured as the volume (cubic meters) per started unit. Chapter 3 analyzes the costs and benefits of rent control to tenants. The focus is on the measurement of welfare losses from misallocation of housing under rent control. Empirical results suggest that the costs of increased mismatch between dwellings and households under rent control offset much of the benefits of low rents to tenants. Chapter 4 examines the incentive effects of the Finnish housing allowance system. Theoretical analysis shows that the system creates incentives to move to dwellings with certain space?quality combinations. Empirical analysis suggests that households eligible for housing allowance do not respond to the incentives.
|Date of creation:||10 Dec 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arkadiankatu 7, P.O. Box 1279, FI-00101 Helsinki|
Phone: +358 295 519 400
Fax: +358 295 519 599
Web page: http://www.vatt.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kan, Kamhon, 1999. "Expected and Unexpected Residential Mobility," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 72-96, January.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves, 1995. "Modelling the take-up of state support," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 391-415, November.
- Stephen Sheppard, 1998.
"Hedonic Analysis of Housing Markets,"
- Timothy J. Bartik & J.S. Butler & Jin Tan Liu, 1990.
"Maximum Score Estimates of the Determinants of Residential Mobility: Implications for the Value of Residential Attachment and Neighborhood Amenities,"
Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles
90-01, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Bartik, Timothy J. & Butler, J. S. & Liu, Jin-Tan, 1992. "Maximum score estimates of the determinants of residential mobility: Implications for the value of residential attachment and neighborhood amenities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 233-256, September.
- Timothy J. Bartik & J.S. Butler & Jin-Tan Liu, . "Maximum Score Estimates of the Determinants of Residential Mobility: Implications for the Value of Residential Attachment and Neighborhood Amenities," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles tjb1992jue, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Edgar O. Olsen, 2003.
"Housing Programs for Low-Income Households,"
in: Means-Tested Transfer Programs in the United States, pages 365-442
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Smith, Richard J & Blundell, Richard W, 1986. "An Exogeneity Test for a Simultaneous Equation Tobit Model with an Application to Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 679-85, May.
- Olivier Bargain & Herwig Immervollz & Heikki Viitamäkix, 2007.
"How Tight are Safety-Nets in Nordic Countries? Evidence from Finnish Register Data,"
200727, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Olivier Bargain & Herwig Immervoll & Heikki Viitamäki, 2007. "How tight are safety-nets in Nordic countries? : evidence from Finnish register data," Working Papers 200712, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Bargain, Olivier & Immervoll, Herwig & Viitamäki, Heikki, 2007. "How Tight Are Safety-Nets in Nordic Countries? Evidence from Finnish Register Data," IZA Discussion Papers 3004, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Susin, Scott, 2002. "Rent vouchers and the price of low-income housing," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 109-152, January.
- Quigley, John M., 1982. "Nonlinear budget constraints and consumer demand: An application to public programs for residential housing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 177-201, September.
- Blundell, Richard & Fry, Vanessa & Walker, Ian, 1987. "Modelling the Take-up of Means-tested Benefits: the Case of Housing Benefits in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(390), pages 58-74, Supplemen.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fer:resrep:140. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.