Optimal asset allocation for pension funds under mortality risk during the accumulation and ecumulation phases
In a financial market with one riskless asset and n risky assets following geometric Brownian motions, we solve the problem of a pension fund maximizing the expected CRRA utility of its terminal wealth. By considering a stochastic death time for a subscriber, we solve a unique problem for both accumulation and decumulation phases. We show that the optimal asset allocation during these two phases must be different. In particular, during the first phase the investment in the risky assets should decrease through time to meet future contractual pension payments while, during the second phase, the risky investment should increase through time because of closeness of death time. Our findings also suggest that it is not optimal to manage the two phases separately.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 40 bd. du Pont d'Arve, Case postale 3, CH - 1211 Geneva 4|
Phone: 41 22 / 312 09 61
Fax: 41 22 / 312 10 26
Web page: http://www.swissfinanceinstitute.ch
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Menoncin, Francesco, 2002. "Optimal portfolio and background risk: an exact and an approximated solution," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 249-265, October.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971.
"Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- R. C. Merton, 1970. "Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model," Working papers 58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Paolo BATTOCCHIO & Francesco MENONCIN, 2002. "Optimal Pension Management under Stochastic Interest Rates, Wages, and Inflation," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2002021, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Charupat, Narat & Milevsky, Moshe A., 2002. "Optimal asset allocation in life annuities: a note," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 199-209, April.
- Josa-Fombellida, Ricardo & Rincon-Zapatero, Juan Pablo, 2001. "Minimization of risks in pension funding by means of contributions and portfolio selection," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 35-45, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)