Cyclical risk exposure of pension funds: a theoretical framework
We study the asset allocation problem for a pension fund which operates in a PAYG system and periodically revises its investment strategies. If the optimal amount of wealth invested in risky assets is always positive, then during the management period the optimal portfolio is constantly riskier (less risky) than Merton’s portfolio when the growth rate of workers is higher (lower) than the growth rate of pensioners. In particular, there exists a time when the risk exposure is a maximum (minimum).
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.unibs.it/atp/page.1019.0.0.0.atp?node=224
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Merton, Robert C, 1969. "Lifetime Portfolio Selection under Uncertainty: The Continuous-Time Case," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(3), pages 247-57, August.
- R. C. Merton, 1970.
"Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model,"
58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971. "Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- Thaleia Zariphopoulou, 2001. "A solution approach to valuation with unhedgeable risks," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 61-82.
- Battocchio, Paolo & Menoncin, Francesco, 2004. "Optimal pension management in a stochastic framework," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 79-95, February.
- Simon Babbs & K. Nowman, 1998. "Econometric Analysis of a Continuous Time Multi-Factor Generalized Vasicek Term Structure Model: International Evidence," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 159-183, May.
- Charupat, Narat & Milevsky, Moshe A., 2002. "Optimal asset allocation in life annuities: a note," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 199-209, April.
- Paolo, BATTOCCHIO & Francesco, MENONCIN & Olivier, SCAILLET, 2003.
"Optimal asset allocation for pension funds under mortality risk during the accumulation and decumulation phases,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2003004, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Paolo Battocchio & Francesco Menoncin & Olivier Scaillet, 2003. "Optimal asset allocation for pension funds under mortality risk during the accumulation and decumulation phases," THEMA Working Papers 2003-28, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Paolo Battocchio & Francesco Menoncin & Olivier Scaillet, 2003. "Optimal asset allocation for pension funds under mortality risk during the accumulation and ecumulation phases," FAME Research Paper Series rp66, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Boulier, Jean-Francois & Huang, ShaoJuan & Taillard, Gregory, 2001. "Optimal management under stochastic interest rates: the case of a protected defined contribution pension fund," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 173-189, April.
- Menoncin, Francesco, 2002. "Optimal portfolio and background risk: an exact and an approximated solution," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 249-265, October.
- Babbs, Simon H. & Nowman, K. Ben, 1999. "Kalman Filtering of Generalized Vasicek Term Structure Models," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(01), pages 115-130, March.
- Josa-Fombellida, Ricardo & Rincon-Zapatero, Juan Pablo, 2001. "Minimization of risks in pension funding by means of contributions and portfolio selection," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 35-45, August.
- Blake, David & Cairns, Andrew J. G. & Dowd, Kevin, 2001. "Pensionmetrics: stochastic pension plan design and value-at-risk during the accumulation phase," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 187-215, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ubs:wpaper:ubs0503. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matteo Galizzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.