Econometric Analysis of a Continuous Time Multi-Factor Generalized Vasicek Term Structure Model: International Evidence
In this paper we apply the Kalman filter to a state formulation of a multi-factor term structure model allowing for measurement errors in the data. We estimate one and two factor models using panel data allowing the cross sectional and dynamic implications of the yield curve to be taken into account. The panel data approach has the advantage of using all the information in the yield curve across and over time compared to a time series approach only. The models are estimated on data for the Belgian franc, British pound, Danish krone, Dutch guilder, French franc, German mark, Japanese yen, Italian lira and Swiss franc. Our empirical results indicate that the two factor model represents a good description of the yield curves in these markets. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1998
Volume (Year): 5 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=102851|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Langetieg, Terence C, 1980. " A Multivariate Model of the Term Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(1), pages 71-97, March.
- Nowman, K B, 1997. " Gaussian Estimation of Single-Factor Continuous Time Models of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1695-1706, September.
- Pennacchi, George G, 1991. "Identifying the Dynamics of Real Interest Rates and Inflation: Evidence Using Survey Data," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(1), pages 53-86.
- Alois L. J. Geyer & Stefan Pichler, 1999.
"A State-Space Approach To Estimate And Test Multifactor Cox-Ingersoll-Ross Models Of The Term Structure,"
Journal of Financial Research,
Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(1), pages 107-130, 03.
- Geyer, Alois L J & Pichler, Stefan, 1999. "A State-Space Approach to Estimate and Test Multifactor Cox-Ingersoll-Ross Models of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(1), pages 107-30, Spring.
- Hull, John & White, Alan, 1990. "Pricing Interest-Rate-Derivative Securities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 573-92.
- Chan, K C, et al, 1992.
" An Empirical Comparison of Alternative Models of the Short-Term Interest Rate,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 1209-27, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate CKLS(1992) estimation of interest rate models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00035, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jin-Chuan Duan & Jean-Guy Simonato, 1995.
"Estimating and Testing Exponential Affine Term Structure Models by Kalman Filter,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Duan, Jin-Chuan & Simonato, Jean-Guy, 1999. " Estimating and Testing Exponential-Affine Term Structure Models by Kalman Filter," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 111-35, September.
- Jegadeesh, Narasimhan & Pennacchi, George G, 1996.
"The Behavior of Interest Rates Implied by the Term Structure of Eurodollar Futures,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(3), pages 426-46, August.
- Narasimhan Jegadeesh & George G. Pennacchi, 1996. "The behavior of interest rates implied by the term structure of Eurodollar future," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Aug, pages 426-451.
- Ball, Clifford A. & Torous, Walter N., 1996. "Unit roots and the estimation of interest rate dynamics," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 215-238, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:apfinm:v:5:y:1998:i:2:p:159-183. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.