Pricing caps with HJM models: the benefits of humped volatility
In this paper we compare different multifactor HJM models with humped volatility structures, to each other and to models with strictly decreasing volatility. All the models are estimated on Euribor and swap rates panel data. We develop the analysis in two steps: first we study the in-sample properties of the estimated models, then we study the pricing performance on caps. We find the humped volatility specification to greatly improve the model estimation and to provide sufficiently accurate cap prices, although the models has been calibrated on interest rates data and not on cap prices. Moreover we find the two factor humped volatility model to outperform the three factor models in pricing caps
|Date of creation:||Aug 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza S.Francesco,7 - 53100 Siena|
Web page: http://www.deps.unisi.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Heath & Robert Jarrow & Andrew Morton, 2008.
"Bond Pricing And The Term Structure Of Interest Rates: A New Methodology For Contingent Claims Valuation,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Financial Derivatives Pricing Selected Works of Robert Jarrow, chapter 13, pages 277-305
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Andrew Kaplin & Steve Guoqiang Sun, 2001.
"An Evaluation of Multi-Factor CIR Models Using LIBOR, Swap Rates, and Cap and Swaption Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
8682, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jagannathan, Ravi & Kaplin, Andrew & Sun, Steve, 2003. "An evaluation of multi-factor CIR models using LIBOR, swap rates, and cap and swaption prices," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1-2), pages 113-146.
- Driessen, Joost & Klaassen, Pieter & Melenberg, Bertrand, 2003.
"The Performance of Multi-Factor Term Structure Models for Pricing and Hedging Caps and Swaptions,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(03), pages 635-672, September.
- Driessen, J.J.A.G. & Klaassen, P. & Melenberg, B., 2000. "The Performance of Multi-Factor Term Structure Models for Pricing and Hedging Caps and Swaptions," Discussion Paper 2000-93, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Narasimhan Jegadeesh & George Pennacchi, 1996.
"The behavior of interest rates implied by the term structure of Eurodollar future,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Aug, pages 426-451.
- Jegadeesh, Narasimhan & Pennacchi, George G, 1996. "The Behavior of Interest Rates Implied by the Term Structure of Eurodollar Futures," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(3), pages 426-446, August.
- Amin, Kaushik I. & Morton, Andrew J., 1994. "Implied volatility functions in arbitrage-free term structure models," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 141-180, April.
- Carl Chiarella & Oh Kang Kwon, 2001. "Forward rate dependent Markovian transformations of the Heath-Jarrow-Morton term structure model," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 237-257.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Hull, John & White, Alan, 1990. "Pricing Interest-Rate-Derivative Securities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 573-592.
- Mercurio, F. & Moraleda, J. M., 2000. "An analytically tractable interest rate model with humped volatility," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 205-214, January.
- repec:bla:jfnres:v:22:y:1999:i:1:p:107-130 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chan, K C, et al, 1992.
" An Empirical Comparison of Alternative Models of the Short-Term Interest Rate,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 1209-1227, July.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate CKLS(1992) estimation of interest rate models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00035, Boston College Department of Economics.
- de Jong, Frank & Santa-Clara, Pedro, 1999. "The Dynamics of the Forward Interest Rate Curve: A Formulation with State Variables," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(01), pages 131-157, March.
- Carl Chiarella & Oh-Kang Kwon, 2001. "State Variables and the Affine Nature of Markovian HJM Term Structure Models," Research Paper Series 52, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Moraleda, Juan M. & Vorst, Ton C. F., 1997. "Pricing American interest rate claims with humped volatility models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(8), pages 1131-1157, August.
- Farshid Jamshidian, 1997. "LIBOR and swap market models and measures (*)," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 293-330.
- Carl Chiarella & Oh-Kang Kwon, 1999. "Classes of Interest Rate Models Under the HJM Framework," Research Paper Series 13, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Carl Chiarella & Oh Kwon, 2003. "Finite Dimensional Affine Realisations of HJM Models in Terms of Forward Rates and Yields," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 129-155, May.
- Geyer, Alois L J & Pichler, Stefan, 1999.
"A State-Space Approach to Estimate and Test Multifactor Cox-Ingersoll-Ross Models of the Term Structure,"
Journal of Financial Research,
Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(1), pages 107-130, Spring.
- Black, Fischer, 1976. "The pricing of commodity contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 167-179.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Hull, John & White, Alan, 1993. "One-Factor Interest-Rate Models and the Valuation of Interest-Rate Derivative Securities," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(02), pages 235-254, June.
- Chiarella, Carl & Hung, Hing & T, Thuy-Duong, 2009.
"The volatility structure of the fixed income market under the HJM framework: A nonlinear filtering approach,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 2075-2088, April.
- Carl Chiarella & Hing Hung & Thuy-Duong To, 2005. "The Volatility Structure of the Fixed Income Market under the HJM Framework: A Nonlinear Filtering Approach," Research Paper Series 151, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Babbs, Simon H. & Nowman, K. Ben, 1999. "Kalman Filtering of Generalized Vasicek Term Structure Models," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(01), pages 115-130, March.
- Gupta, Anurag & Subrahmanyam, Marti G., 2005. "Pricing and hedging interest rate options: Evidence from cap-floor markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 701-733, March.
- Inui, Koji & Kijima, Masaaki, 1998. "A Markovian Framework in Multi-Factor Heath-Jarrow-Morton Models," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(03), pages 423-440, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usi:wpaper:563. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabrizio Becatti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.