Modelling the UK and Euro yield curves using the Generalized Vasicek model: Empirical results from panel data for one and two factor models
In this paper we estimate the Generalized Vasicek term structure model using United Kingdom and Euro panel data. The model is presented in a state space form and the Kalman filter is used to estimate the unobserved state variables and the parameters of the model. One and two factor versions are estimated and the empirical results provide evidence that the two factor model provides a good description of the UK and Euro yield curves.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bergstrom, A.R., 1984. "Continuous time stochastic models and issues of aggregation over time," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 20, pages 1145-1212 Elsevier.
- Charlotte Christiansen, 2007.
"Level-ARCH Short Rate Models with Regime Switching: Bivariate Modeling of US and European Short Rates,"
CREATES Research Papers
2007-05, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Christiansen, Charlotte, 2008. "Level-ARCH short rate models with regime switching: Bivariate modeling of US and European short rates," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 925-948, December.
- Christiansen, Charlotte, 2005. "Level-ARCH Short Rate Models with Regime Switching: Bivariate Modeling of US and European Short Rates," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2005-03, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Andreas Reschreiter, 2010. "Inflation And The Mean-Reverting Level Of The Short Rate," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 78(1), pages 76-91, 01.
- Brenner, Robin J. & Harjes, Richard H. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1996. "Another Look at Models of the Short-Term Interest Rate," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(01), pages 85-107, March.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
- Yongmiao Hong & Hai Lin & Shouyang Wang, 2013.
"Modeling the Dynamics of Chinese Spot Interest Rates,"
WISE Working Papers
2013-10-14, Wang Yanan Institute for Studies in Economics (WISE), Xiamen University.
- Hong, Yongmiao & Lin, Hai & Wang, Shouyang, 2010. "Modeling the dynamics of Chinese spot interest rates," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1047-1061, May.
- Joost Driessen & Bertrand Melenberg & Theo Nijman, 2000.
"Testing Affine Term Structure Models in Case of Transaction Costs,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0553, Econometric Society.
- Driessen, Joost & Melenberg, Bertrand & Nijman, Theo, 2005. "Testing affine term structure models in case of transaction costs," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 201-232, May.
- Driessen, J.J.A.G. & Melenberg, B. & Nijman, T.E., 1999. "Testing Affine Term Structure Models in Case of Transaction Costs," Discussion Paper 1999-84, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Date, Paresh & Wang, Chieh, 2009. "Linear Gaussian affine term structure models with unobservable factors: Calibration and yield forecasting," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 195(1), pages 156-166, May.
- Simon Babbs & K. Nowman, 1998. "Econometric Analysis of a Continuous Time Multi-Factor Generalized Vasicek Term Structure Model: International Evidence," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer;Japanese Association of Financial Economics and Engineering, vol. 5(2), pages 159-183, May.
- Nowman, K. Ben & Saltoglu, Burak, 2003. "Continuous time and nonparametric modelling of U.S. interest rate models," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 25-34.
- Fernandez, Viviana, 2001.
"A nonparametric approach to model the term structure of interest rates: The case of Chile,"
International Review of Financial Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 99-122.
- Viviana Fernández, 2001. "A Non-parametric Approach to Model the Term Structure of Interest Rates: The Case of Chile," Documentos de Trabajo 97, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Dahlquist, Magnus, 1996. "On alternative interest rate processes," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 1093-1119, July.
- Adkins, Lee C. & Krehbiel, Timothy, 1999. "Mean reversion and volatility of short-term London Interbank Offer Rates: An empirical comparison of competing models," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 45-54, January.
- Hiraki, Takato & Takezawa, Nobuya, 1997. "How sensitive is short-term Japanese interest rate volatility to the level of the interest rate?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 325-332, November.
- de Jong, Frank, 1999.
"Time-series and Cross-section Information in Affine Term Structure Models,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2065, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- de Jong, Frank, 2000. "Time Series and Cross-Section Information in Affine Term-Structure Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(3), pages 300-314, July.
- Langetieg, Terence C, 1980. " A Multivariate Model of the Term Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(1), pages 71-97, March.
- Bali, Turan G., 2003. "Modeling the stochastic behavior of short-term interest rates: Pricing implications for discount bonds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 201-228, February.
- Driessen, J.J.A.G. & Melenberg, B. & Nijman, T.E., 2005. "Testing affine term structure models in case of transaction costs," Other publications TiSEM 2ed41129-d5ec-451f-9b57-7, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Bali, Turan G., 2000. "Testing the Empirical Performance of Stochastic Volatility Models of the Short-Term Interest Rate," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(02), pages 191-215, June.
- Nowman, K.B. & Yahia, B.B.H., 2008. "Euro and FIBOR interest rates: A continuous time modelling analysis," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 1029-1035, December.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Nicola Anderson & John Sleath, 2001. "New estimates of the UK real and nominal yield curves," Bank of England working papers 126, Bank of England.
- Sirimon Treepongkaruna & Stephen Gray, 2006. "Are there nonlinearities in short-term interest rates?," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 46(1), pages 149-167.
- Duan, Jin-Chuan & Simonato, Jean-Guy, 1999.
"Estimating and Testing Exponential-Affine Term Structure Models by Kalman Filter,"
Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting,
Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 111-35, September.
- Jin-Chuan Duan & Jean-Guy Simonato, 1995. "Estimating and Testing Exponential Affine Term Structure Models by Kalman Filter," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-44, CIRANO.
- Faff, Robert & Gray, Philip, 2006. "On the estimation and comparison of short-rate models using the generalised method of moments," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 3131-3146, November.
- Babbs, Simon H. & Nowman, K. Ben, 1999. "Kalman Filtering of Generalized Vasicek Term Structure Models," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(01), pages 115-130, March.
- Sun, Licheng, 2005. "Regime shifts in interest rate volatility," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 418-434, June.
- Nowman, K. Ben & Sorwar, Ghulam, 2005. "Derivative prices from interest rate models: results for Canada, Hong Kong, and United States," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 428-438.
- Rana Chatterjee, 2004. "Application Of The Kalman Filter For Estimating Continuous Time Term Structure Models: Evidence From The Uk And Germany," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 346, Society for Computational Economics.
- Tse, Y. K., 1995. "Some international evidence on the stochastic behavior of interest rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 721-738, October.
- Bali, Turan G. & Wu, Liuren, 2006. "A comprehensive analysis of the short-term interest-rate dynamics," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1269-1290, April.
- Episcopos, Athanasios, 2000. "Further evidence on alternative continuous time models of the short-term interest rate," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 199-212, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:finana:v:19:y:2010:i:5:p:334-341. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.