Controlling externalities in the presence of rent seeking
Contests are a common method to describe the distribution of many different types of rents. Yet in many of these situations the utilisation of the prize plays an important role in determining agents payoffs and incentives. In this paper, we investigate the incentives to expend effort for a prize that produces consumption externalities and consider alternative regulatory policies. We find relatively more global consumption externalities will increase (decrease) rent seeking when con- sumption externalities are negative (positive). We show how introducing Pigouvian taxation (possibly with revenue transfer) and Coasean bargaining alters equilib- rium effort and payoffs. Pigouvian taxation tends to reduce both effort and payoffs whereas this is not always the case for Coasean bargaining. In the presence of suf- ficiently large consumption externalities, establishing Pigouvian taxation coupled with some element of lump-sum transfer may reduce costly rent seeking effort and improve the welfare of some agents compared to other approaches.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41 44 632 03 87
Fax: +41 44 632 13 62
Web page: http://www.cer.ethz.ch
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leininger Wolfgang & Yang Chun-Lei, 1994. "Dynamic Rent-Seeking Games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 406-427, November.
- Congleton, Roger D., 1989. "Efficient status seeking: Externalities, and the evolution of status games," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 175-190, March.
- Riaz, Khalid & Shogren, Jason F & Johnson, Stanley R, 1995.
" A General Model of Rent Seeking for Public Goods,"
Springer, vol. 82(3-4), pages 243-59, March.
- Riaz, Khalid & Shogren, Jason F. & Johnson, Stanley R., 1995. "A General Model of Rent Seeking for Public Goods," Staff General Research Papers 861, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Riaz, Khalid & Johnson, Stanley R., 1995. "A General Model of Rent Seeking for Public Goods," Staff General Research Papers 5229, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hanley Nick & MacKenzie Ian A, 2010.
"The Effects of Rent Seeking over Tradable Pollution Permits,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-26, July.
- Hanley, Nicholas & Mackenzie, Ian A, 2010. "The effects of rent seeking over tradable pollution permits," Stirling Economics Discussion Papers 2010-02, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Hanley, Nicholas & Mackenzie, Ian A, 2009. "The effects of rent seeking over tradable pollution permits," Stirling Economics Discussion Papers 2009-12, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Nick Hanley & Ian A. MacKenzie, 2009. "The effects of rent seeking over tradable pollution permits," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 09/112, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Kai A. Konrad, 2002.
"Altruism and Envy in Contests: An Evolutionarily Stable Symbiosis,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
825, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kai A. Konrad, 2004. "Altruism and envy in contests: An evolutionarily stable symbiosis," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 479-490, 06.
- Konrad, Kai A., 2002.
"Altruism and envy in contests: an evolutionarily stable symbiosis
[Altruismus und Neid in Turnieren: Eine evolutionär-stabile Symbiose]," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance FS IV 02-19, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Glazer, Amihai & Konrad, Kai A., 1999.
"Taxation of rent-seeking activities,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 61-72, April.
- Katz, Eliakim & Rosenberg, Jacob, 2000. " Some Implications of Corporate Taxation for Rent-Seeking Activity," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 102(1-2), pages 151-64, January.
- Elie Appelbaum & Eliakim Katz, 1996.
"Transfer seeking and avoidance: On the full social costs of rent seeking,"
1996_11, York University, Department of Economics.
- Elie Appelbaum & Eliakim Katz, 1986. "Transfer seeking and avoidance: On the full social costs of rent seeking," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 48(2), pages 175-181, January.
- Guiseppe Dari-Mattiacci & Sander Onderstal & Francesco Parisi, 2006.
"Seeking Rents in the Shadow of Coase,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
06-069/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Garratt, Rod & Tröger, Thomas, 2005.
"Speculation in Standard Auctions with Resale,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
42, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Gil Epstein & Yosef Mealem, 2009. "Group specific public goods, orchestration of interest groups with free riding," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 139(3), pages 357-369, June.
- Bird, Peter J. W. N., 1987. "The transferability and depletability of externalities," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 54-57, March.
- Nitzan, Shmuel, 1991. "Collective Rent Dissipation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(409), pages 1522-34, November.
- Wirl, Franz, 1994. " The Dynamics of Lobbying--A Differential Game," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 80(3-4), pages 307-23, September.
- Heinrich W. Ursprung, 1990. "Public Goods, Rent Dissipation, And Candidate Competition," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 115-132, 07.
- Arye L. Hillman & John G. Riley, 1987.
"Politically Contestable Rents and Transfers,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
452, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Gradstein, Mark, 1993. "Rent Seeking and the Provision of Public Goods," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(420), pages 1236-43, September.
- Epstein, Gil S & Nitzan, Shmuel, 2002. " Asymmetry and Corrective Public Policy in Contests," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 113(1-2), pages 231-40, October.
- M. L. Weitzman, 1973.
"Prices vs. Quantities,"
106, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Haile, Philip A., 2003. "Auctions with private uncertainty and resale opportunities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 72-110, January.
- Mark Fey, 2008. "Rent-seeking contests with incomplete information," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 135(3), pages 225-236, June.
- Chung, Tai-Yeong, 1996. " Rent-Seeking Contest When the Prize Increases with Aggregate Efforts," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 87(1-2), pages 55-66, April.
- Lee, Sanghack & Hyeong Kang, J., 1998. "Collective contests with externalities," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 727-738, November.
- Isa Hafalir & Vijay Krishna, 2008. "Asymmetric Auctions with Resale," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(1), pages 87-112, March.
- Nti, Kofi O, 1999. " Rent-Seeking with Asymmetric Valuations," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 98(3-4), pages 415-30, March.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 2006. "War, labor tournaments, and contest payoffs," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 250-255, August.
- Charles Zhoucheng Zheng, 2002.
"Optimal Auction with Resale,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(6), pages 2197-2224, November.
- Jason Shogren & Thomas Crocker, 1991. "Cooperative and noncooperative protection against transferable and filterable externalities," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 1(2), pages 195-214, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521023894 is not listed on IDEAS
- David A. Malueg & Andrew J. Yates, 2004. "Sent Seeking With Private Values," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 119(1_2), pages 161-178, 04.
- Baik, Kyung Hwan, 1993. "Effort levels in contests : The public-good prize case," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 363-367.
- Gupta, Madhurima & Lebrun, Bernard, 1999. "First price auctions with resale," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 181-185, August.
- Linster, Bruce G, 1993. " A Generalized Model of Rent-Seeking Behavior," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 77(2), pages 421-35, October.
- Nitzan, Shmuel, 1994. "Modelling rent-seeking contests," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 41-60, May.
- Yong Sui, 2009. "Rent-seeking contests with private values and resale," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 138(3), pages 409-422, March.
- Katz, Eliakim & Nitzan, Shmuel & Rosenberg, Jacob, 1990. " Rent-Seeking for Pure Public Goods," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 65(1), pages 49-60, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eth:wpswif:09-111. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.