Estimation of Discount Factor ÃŸ and Coefficient of Relative Risk Aversion ? in Selected Countries
The long-run discount factor for a group of developed and developing countries is estimated through standard methodology incorporating adaptive expectations of inflation. In the second part, while considering a standard Euler equation for household's intertemporal consumption, the parameter of constant relative risk aversion (CRRA) for Pakistan is estimated by using the Generalized Method of Moments (GMM) approach. The resulting parameter value of CRRA conforms to the empirical range for developing countries (as given in, Cardenas and Carpenter, 2008) The GMM estimator for the discount factor reinforces its result from the first part of the paper. [SBP WP no. 53]. URL:[http://www.sbp.org.pk/publications/wpapers/2012/wp53.pdf].
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sule Alan & Martin Browning, 2003. "Estimating Intertemporal Allocation Parameters using Simulated Residual Estimation," CAM Working Papers 2003-03, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Jeffrey Fuhrer & George Moore & Scott Schuh, 1993.
"Estimating the linear-quadratic inventory model: maximum likelihood versus generalized method of moments,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
93-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Fuhrer, Jeffrey C. & Moore, George R. & Schuh, Scott D., 1995. "Estimating the linear-quadratic inventory model Maximum likelihood versus generalized method of moments," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 115-157, February.
- Orazio Attanasio & Hamish Low, 2002.
"Estimating Euler equations,"
IFS Working Papers
W02/06, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Ogaki, Masao, 1995.
"Measuring intertemporal substitution: The role of durable goods,"
13690, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Masao Ogaki & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1998. "Measuring Intertemporal Substitution: The Role of Durable Goods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 1078-1098, October.
- Ogaki, M & Reinhart, C-M, 1995. "Measuring Intertemporal Substitution : The Role of Durable Goods," RCER Working Papers 404, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- William A. Brock, 1982.
"Asset Prices in a Production Economy,"
in: The Economics of Information and Uncertainty, pages 1-46
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Heaton, John & Yaron, Amir, 1996. "Finite-Sample Properties of Some Alternative GMM Estimators," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(3), pages 262-80, July.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1982. "Generalized Instrumental Variables Estimation of Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1269-86, September.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Thomas J. Sargent, 1979.
"Formulating and estimating dynamic linear rational expectations models,"
127, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Sargent, Thomas J., 1980. "Formulating and estimating dynamic linear rational expectations models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 7-46, May.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988.
"Intertemporal Substitution in Consumption,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(2), pages 339-57, April.
- Jordi Galí, 2008.
"Monetary Policy and the Open Economy
[Monetary Policy, Inflation, and the Business Cycle: An Introduction to the New Keynesian Framework]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Hall, Robert E, 1978. "Stochastic Implications of the Life Cycle-Permanent Income Hypothesis: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 971-87, December.
- Pozzi, Lorenzo, 2003. "The coefficient of relative risk aversion: a Monte Carlo study investigating small sample estimator problems," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 923-940, September.
- Amemiya, Yasuo, 1985. "Instrumental variable estimator for the nonlinear errors-in-variables model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 273-289, June.
- Kocherlakota, Narayana R., 1990. "On tests of representative consumer asset pricing models," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 285-304, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:5087. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.