Integration of Indiaâ€™s Financial Markets on the Domestic and International Fronts: An Emperical Analysis of the Post-Liberalisation Period. June 2010
Against the backdrop of financial liberalisation, this paper examines Indiaâ€™s financial integration, both on the domestic and international fronts. Preliminary analysis of the secondary data shows Indiaâ€™s capital market grew significantly during 2001-2007 in terms of the trading value of equities and bonds compared to some sample countries, covering both developed (Germany, Italy, US, UK) and emerging (China, Korea, Brazil) economies. Also, during this phase, empirical evidence reveals high liquidity in the Indian capital market. The increasing gross flow of capital across borders and increasing correlation among different asset returns of major financial markets in the last couple of years provide the premise of interlinkage across different segments of financial markets, domestic as well as international. [Working Paper No. 431]
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hrushikesh Mallick, 2008. "Do remittances impact the economy? Some empirical evidences from a developing economy," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 407, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Martin Feldstein & Charles Horioka, 1979.
"Domestic Savings and International Capital Flows,"
NBER Working Papers
0310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, & Philip R. Lane, 2003.
"International Financial Integration,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Philip R. Lane & Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2003. "International Financial Integration," IMF Working Papers 03/86, International Monetary Fund.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2003. "International Financial Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 3769, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip R. Lane & G.M. Milesi-Ferretti, 2003. "International Financial Integration," Trinity Economics Papers 20031, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Gozzi, Juan Carlos & Levine, Ross & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2008.
"Patterns of international capital raisings,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4687, The World Bank.
- Ricardo Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2000.
"International and Domestic Collateral Constraints in a Model of Emerging Market Crises,"
NBER Working Papers
7971, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caballero, Ricardo J. & Krishnamurthy, Arvind, 2001. "International and domestic collateral constraints in a model of emerging market crises," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 513-548, December.
- Levine, Ross & Loayza, Norman & Beck, Thorsten, 1999.
"Financial intermediation and growth : Causality and causes,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2059, The World Bank.
- Levine, Ross & Loayza, Norman & Beck, Thorsten, 2000. "Financial intermediation and growth: Causality and causes," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 31-77, August.
- Ross Levine & Norman Loayza & Thorsten Beck, 2002. "Financial Intermediation and Growth: Causality and Causes," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Leonardo Hernández & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Banking, Financial Integration, and International Crises, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 2, pages 031-084 Central Bank of Chile.
- Thorsten Beck & Ross Levine & Norman Loayza, 1999. "Financial Intermediation and Growth: Causality and Causes," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 56, Central Bank of Chile.
- Arvind Virmani, 2008.
"Macro-economic Management of the Indian Economy: Capital Flows, Interest Rates and Inflation,"
- Arvind Virmani, 2009. "Macro-economic management of the Indian economy: capital flows, interest rates, and inflation," Macroeconomics and Finance in Emerging Market Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(2), pages 189-214.
- John B. Taylor, 1995.
"The Monetary Transmission Mechanism: An Empirical Framework,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 11-26, Fall.
- John B. Taylor, 1995. "The monetary transmission mechanism: an empirical framework," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 95-07, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Alan M. Taylor, 1994. "Domestic Saving and International Capital Flows Reconsidered," NBER Working Papers 4892, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baxter, Marianne & Crucini, Mario J, 1995.
"Business Cycles and the Asset Structure of Foreign Trade,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(4), pages 821-54, November.
- Baxter, M. & Crucini, M., 1991. "Business Cycles and the Asset Structure of Foreign Trade," RCER Working Papers 316, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Marianne Baxter & Mario J. Crucini, 1992. "Business cycles and the asset structure of foreign trade," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 59, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Marianne Baxter & Mario J. Crucini, 1994. "Business Cycles and the Asset Structure of Foreign Trade," NBER Working Papers 4975, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lane, Philip R. & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2007.
"The international financial integration of China and India,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4132, The World Bank.
- Philip R. Lane & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2006. "The international financial integration of China and India," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jun.
- Lane, Philip R. & Schmukler, Sergio, 2006. "The International Financial Integration of China and India," CEPR Discussion Papers 5852, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Feldstein, Martin, 1983.
"Domestic saving and international capital movements in the long run and the short run,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1-2), pages 129-151.
- Martin Feldstein, 1991. "Domestic Saving and International Capital Movements in the Long Run and the Short Run," NBER Chapters, in: International Volatility and Economic Growth: The First Ten Years of The International Seminar on Macroeconomics, pages 331-353 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Feldstein, 1982. "Domestic Saving and International Capital Movements in the Long Run and the Short Run," NBER Working Papers 0947, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abramovitz, Moses, 1986. "Catching Up, Forging Ahead, and Falling Behind," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(02), pages 385-406, June.
- International Monetary Fund, 1990. "Capital Mobility in Developing Countries: M386Some Empirical Tests," IMF Working Papers 90/117, International Monetary Fund.
- Cochrane, John H, 1991. "A Simple Test of Consumption Insurance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(5), pages 957-76, October.
- Gerard, Bruno & Thanyalakpark, Kessara & Batten, Jonathan A., 2003. "Are the East Asian markets integrated? Evidence from the ICAPM," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 55(5-6), pages 585-607.
- Lieven Baele, 2004. "Measuring European Financial Integration," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(4), pages 509-530, Winter.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Piketty, Thomas & Banerjee, Abhijit & Aghion, Philippe, 1999.
"Dualism and Macroeconomic Volatility,"
4554124, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Flint Brayton & Jaime R. Marquez, 1990. "The behavior of monetary sectors and monetary policy: evidence from multicountry models," Proceedings, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages 365-398.
- Surbhi Jain & N.R. Bhanumurthy, 2005. "Financial markets integration in India," Asia-Pacific Development Journal, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), vol. 12(2), pages 15-32, December.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Kenneth Rogoff & Eswar Prasad & Shang-Jin Wei, 2003. "Effects of Financial Globalization on Developing Countries: Some Empirical Evidence," IMF Occasional Papers 220, International Monetary Fund.
- Rakesh Mohan, 2005. "Globalisation, financial markets and the operation of monetary policy in India," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Globalisation and monetary policy in emerging markets, volume 23, pages 161-70 Bank for International Settlements.
- Palle Andersen & Ramon Moreno, 2005. "Financial integration: an overview," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Globalisation and monetary policy in emerging markets, volume 23, pages 1-8 Bank for International Settlements.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:3097. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.