Price Elasticity Estimates for Tobacco and Other Addictive Goods in India
The tax base of tobacco in India is found to be heavily depended on about fteen per cent of the tobacco users who represent cigarettes smokers. Non-cigarette tobacco products used by the majority of tobacco users are largely out of the tax net. Analysis of the price elasticity of various tobacco products would bring out the potential of tax as an instrument to control tobacco use of any kind. In this context, this paper examines how the demand for a variety of tobacco products and addictive goods such as pan and alcohol respond to changes in prices. [IGIDR WP 2005-003].
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Directorate General & Economic and Financial Affairs, 2000. "Conference "Enterprises 2002" - 6 June 2000," Papers 40, Commission of the EEC - Euro Papers.
- Rijo M John, 2004.
"An Analysis of Household's Tobacco Consumption Decisions : Evidence from India,"
Microeconomics Working Papers
22393, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Rijo John, 2004. "An analysis of household's tobacco consumption decisions: Evidence from India," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2004-002, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Rijo M John, 2009. "An Analysis of Household's Tobacco Consumption Decisions: Evidence from India," Working Papers id:2188, eSocialSciences.
- Kenneth Clements & Wana Yang & Simon Zheng, 1997.
"Is utility additive? The case of alcohol,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(9), pages 1163-1167.
- Rijo M. John, 2006. "Household's Tobacco Consumption Decisions," Journal of South Asian Development, , vol. 1(1), pages 101-126, April.
- John, Rijo M., 2005. "Tobacco consumption patterns and its health implications in India," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 213-222, February.
- Chaloupka, Frank J. & Warner, Kenneth E., 2000.
"The economics of smoking,"
Handbook of Health Economics,
in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 29, pages 1539-1627
- Susan H. Busch & Mireia Jofre-Bonet & Tracy A. Falba & Jody L. Sindelar, 2004. "Tobacco Spending and its Crowd-Out of Other Goods," NBER Working Papers 10974, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:117. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.