Price Elasticity Estimates for Tobacco and Other Addictive Goods in India
The tax base of tobacco in India is found to be heavily depended on about fteen per cent of the tobacco users who represent cigarettes smokers. Non-cigarette tobacco products used by the majority of tobacco users are largely out of the tax net. Analysis of the price elasticity of various tobacco products would bring out the potential of tax as an instrument to control tobacco use of any kind. In this context, this paper examines how the demand for a variety of tobacco products and addictive goods such as pan and alcohol respond to changes in prices. [IGIDR WP 2005-003].
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rijo M John, 2004.
"An Analysis of Household's Tobacco Consumption Decisions : Evidence from India,"
Microeconomics Working Papers
22393, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Rijo M John, 2009. "An Analysis of Household's Tobacco Consumption Decisions: Evidence from India," Working Papers id:2188, eSocialSciences.
- Rijo John, 2004. "An analysis of household's tobacco consumption decisions: Evidence from India," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2004-002, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Rijo M. John, 2006. "Household's Tobacco Consumption Decisions," Journal of South Asian Development, , vol. 1(1), pages 101-126, April.
- Susan H. Busch & Mireia Jofre-Bonet & Tracy A. Falba & Jody L. Sindelar, 2004. "Tobacco Spending and its Crowd-Out of Other Goods," NBER Working Papers 10974, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth Clements & Wana Yang & Simon Zheng, 1997. "Is utility additive? The case of alcohol," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(9), pages 1163-1167.
- K.W. Clements & W. Yang & S.W. Zheng, 1997. "Is utility additive? The case of alcohol," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 97-02, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Chaloupka, Frank J. & Warner, Kenneth E., 2000. "The economics of smoking," Handbook of Health Economics, in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 29, pages 1539-1627 Elsevier.
- Frank J. Chaloupka & Kenneth E. Warner, 1999. "The Economics of Smoking," NBER Working Papers 7047, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John, Rijo M., 2005. "Tobacco consumption patterns and its health implications in India," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 213-222, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:117. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.