Price Elasticity Estimates for Tobacco and Other Addictive Goods in India
The tax base of tobacco in India is found to be heavily depended on about fteen per cent of the tobacco users who represent cigarettes smokers. Non-cigarette tobacco products used by the majority of tobacco users are largely out of the tax net. Analysis of the price elasticity of various tobacco products would bring out the potential of tax as an instrument to control tobacco use of any kind. In this context, this paper examines how the demand for a variety of tobacco products and addictive goods such as pan and alcohol respond to changes in prices. [IGIDR WP 2005-003].
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John, Rijo M., 2005. "Tobacco consumption patterns and its health implications in India," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 213-222, February.
- Frank J. Chaloupka & Kenneth E. Warner, 1999.
"The Economics of Smoking,"
NBER Working Papers
7047, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Susan H. Busch & Mireia Jofre-Bonet & Tracy A. Falba & Jody L. Sindelar, 2004. "Tobacco Spending and its Crowd-Out of Other Goods," NBER Working Papers 10974, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- K.W. Clements & W. Yang & S.W. Zheng, 1997.
"Is utility additive? The case of alcohol,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
97-02, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- repec:fth:eecero:40 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rijo John, 2004.
"An analysis of household's tobacco consumption decisions: Evidence from India,"
Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers
2004-002, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Rijo M John, 2009. "An Analysis of Household's Tobacco Consumption Decisions: Evidence from India," Working Papers id:2188, eSocialSciences.
- Rijo M John, 2004. "An Analysis of Household's Tobacco Consumption Decisions : Evidence from India," Microeconomics Working Papers 22393, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Rijo M. John, 2006. "Household's Tobacco Consumption Decisions," Journal of South Asian Development, SAGE Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 101-126, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:117. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.