Submarket Dynamics and Innovation: The Case of the U.S. Tire Industry
Download full text from publisherTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Other versions of this item:
- Guido Buenstorf & Steven Klepper, 2010. "Submarket dynamics and innovation: the case of the US tire industry," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(5), pages 1563-1587, October.
References listed on IDEAS
- Christensen, Clayton M., 1993. "The Rigid Disk Drive Industry: A History of Commercial and Technological Turbulence," Business History Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 67(04), pages 531-588, December.
- Utterback, James M. & Suarez, Fernando F., 1993. "Innovation, competition, and industry structure," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Jovanovic, Boyan & MacDonald, Glenn M, 1994.
"The Life Cycle of a Competitive Industry,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(2), pages 322-347, April.
- Jovanovic, B. & MacDonald, G.M., 1992. "The Life-Cycle of Competitive Industry," Papers 92-09, Rochester, Business - Financial Research and Policy Studies.
- Jovanovic, B. & MacDonald, G., 1993. "The Life Cycle of a Competitive Industry," Working Papers 93-34, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Boyan Jovanovic & Glenn MacDonald, 1993. "The Life-Cycle of a Competitive Industry," NBER Working Papers 4441, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven Klepper & Kenneth L. Simons, 2000. "The Making of an Oligopoly: Firm Survival and Technological Change in the Evolution of the U.S. Tire Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(4), pages 728-760, August.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Klepper, Steven, 1996. "Firm Size and the Nature of Innovation within Industries: The Case of Process and Product R&D," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 232-243, May.
- Steven Klepper & Peter Thompson, 2006. "Submarkets and the evolution of market structure," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(4), pages 861-886, December.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:i:4:p:861-886 is not listed on IDEAS
- Steven Klepper, 2002. "Firm Survival and the Evolution of Oligopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(1), pages 37-61, Spring.
- Horvath, Michael & Schivardi, Fabiano & Woywode, Michael, 2001. "On industry life-cycles: delay, entry, and shakeout in beer brewing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(7), pages 1023-1052, July.
- Naomi R. Lamoreaux & Margaret Levenstein & Kenneth L. Sokoloff, 2004. "Financing Invention During the Second Industrial Revolution: Cleveland, Ohio, 1870-1920," NBER Working Papers 10923, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Naomi R. Lamoreaux & Kenneth L. Sokoloff (ed.), 2007. "Financing Innovation in the United States, 1870 to Present," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262122898, January.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christian Garavaglia & Franco Malerba & Luigi Orsenigo & Michele Pezzoni, 2012.
"Technological regimes and demand structure in the evolution of the pharmaceutical industry,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 677-709, September.
- Christian Garavaglia & Michele Pezzoni & Luigi Orsenigo & Franco Malerba, 2012. "Technological regimes and demand structure in the evolution of the pharmaceutical industry," Post-Print halshs-01074513, HAL.
- Roberto Fontana & Lorenzo Zirulia, 2015.
"“…then came Cisco, and the rest is history”: a ‘history friendly’ model of the Local Area Networking industry,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 25(5), pages 875-899, November.
- R. Fontana & L. Zirulia, 2015. "“…then came Cisco, and the rest is history”: a ‘history friendly’ model of the Local Area Networking industry," Working Papers wp993, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Apostolos Baltzopoulos & Pontus Braunerhjelm & Ioannis Tikoudis, 2016.
"Spin-offs: why geography matters,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 16(2), pages 273-303.
- Baltzopoulos, Apostolos & Braunerhjelm, Pontus & Tikoudis, Ioannis, 2014. "Spin-offs: Why geography matters," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 389, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- SHIMIZU, Hiroshi & WAKUTSU, Naohiko, 2017. "Spin-Outs and Patterns of Subsequent Innovation: Technological Development of Laser Diodes in the US and Japan," IIR Working Paper 17-14, Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Shimizu, Hiroshi & Wakutsu, Naohiko, 2014. "Entrepreneurial Spin-Outs and Vanishing Technological Trajectory: Laser Diodes in the U.S. and Japan," IIR Working Paper 13-21, Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Andrea Morrison & Ron Boschma, 2017. "The spatial evolution of the Italian motorcycle industry (1893-1993): KlepperÕs heritage theory revisited," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 1707, Utrecht University, Department of Human Geography and Spatial Planning, Group Economic Geography, revised Mar 2017.
- Garavaglia Christian & Malerba Franco & Orsenigo Luigi & Pezzoni Michele, 2014.
"Innovation and Market Structure in Pharmaceuticals: An Econometric Analysis on Simulated Data,"
Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik),
De Gruyter, vol. 234(2-3), pages 274-298, April.
- Christian Garavaglia & Franco Malerba & Luigi Orsenigo & Michele Pezzoni, 2014. "Innovation and Market Structure in Pharmaceuticals: An Econometric Analysis on Simulated Data," Post-Print halshs-01074524, HAL.
- Guido Buenstorf, 2016. "Schumpeterian incumbents and industry evolution," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 823-836, October.
- Buchmann, Tobias & Hain, Daniel & Kudic, Muhamed & Müller, Matthias, 2014. "Exploring the Evolution of Innovation Networks in Science-driven and Scale-intensive Industries: New Evidence from a Stochastic Actor-based Approach," IWH Discussion Papers 1/2014, Halle Institute for Economic Research (IWH).
- Lalit Manral, 2015. "The demand-side dynamics of entrant heterogeneity," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 401-445, April.
More about this item
KeywordsSubmarkets; Innovation; Shakeouts Length 31 pages;
- L65 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Chemicals; Rubber; Drugs; Biotechnology; Plastics
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
- R30 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - General
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-01-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2010-01-16 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-ENT-2010-01-16 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-HIS-2010-01-16 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-INO-2010-01-16 (Innovation)
- NEP-TID-2010-01-16 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esi:evopap:2009-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christoph Mengs). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vamarde.html .