Global economic and financial crisis: India’s trade potential and future prospects
This paper estimates the trade potential for India using the augmented gravity model and then attempts to determine the importance of trade remedies. Based on panel data, this gravity model is the first-ever attempt to estimate India’s trade potential in the pre- and post- global economic and financial crisis period. The estimates of India’s global trade potential reveal that the magnitude of India’s trade potential is at its maximum in the Asia-Pacific region, followed by Africa and Latin America. Potential for expansion of trade in the post-crisis period is highest for countries such as China. However, in a large part of the world, India’s trade has remained unrealized, which provides further opportunities to expand despite the slowdown in global demand. There is a strong complementary role, as the findings of this paper indicate; i.e., tariff liberalization and trade facilitation, which taken together can help build export momentum in the crisis period.
|Date of creation:||May 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in ARTNeT website|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.unescap.org/tid/artnet/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Egger, .
"A Note on the Proper Econometric Specification of the Gravity Equation,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Egger, Peter, 2000. "A note on the proper econometric specification of the gravity equation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 25-31, January.
- repec:idb:brikps:13138 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005.
"The log of gravity,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
3744, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-71, November.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc Melitz & Yona Rubinstein, 2008. "Estimating Trade Flows: Trading Partners and Trading Volumes," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 123(2), pages 441-487.
- Helble, Matthias & Shepherd, Ben & Wilson, John S., 2007. "Transparency, trade costs, and regional integration in the Asia Pacific," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4401, The World Bank.
- Spiros Bougheas & Panicos Demetriades & Edgar Morgenroth, 1996.
"Infrastructure, Transport Costs and Trade,"
Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001)
96/7, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Mauricio Mesquita Moreira & Christian Volpe Martincus & Juan S. Blyde, 2008. "Unclogging the Arteries: The Impact of Transport Costs on Latin American and Caribbean Trade," IDB Publications (Books), Inter-American Development Bank, number 13138.
- John S. Wilson & Catherine L. Mann & Tsunehiro Otsuki, 2005. "Assessing the Benefits of Trade Facilitation: A Global Perspective," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(6), pages 841-871, 06.
- Andrew K. Rose, 1999.
"One Money, One Market: Estimating the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
7432, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rose, Andrew K, 1999. "One Money, One Market: Estimating the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 2329, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rose, Andrew, 1999. "One Money, One Market: Estimating the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade," Seminar Papers 678, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- James Harrigan, 2001.
"Specialization and the volume of trade: do the data obey the laws?,"
140, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- James Harrigan, 2001. "Specialization and the Volume of Trade: Do the Data Obey the Laws?," NBER Working Papers 8675, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2004.
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
593, Boston College Department of Economics.
- McCallum, John, 1995. "National Borders Matter: Canada-U.S. Regional Trade Patterns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 615-23, June.
- Djankov, Simeon & Freund, Caroline & Pham, Cong S., 2006.
"Trading on time,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3909, The World Bank.
- Nordås, Hildegunn Kyvik & Piermartini, Roberta, 2004. "Infrastructure and trade," WTO Staff Working Papers ERSD-2004-04, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Baier, Scott L. & Bergstrand, Jeffrey H., 2009. "Bonus vetus OLS: A simple method for approximating international trade-cost effects using the gravity equation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 77-85, February.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc Melitz & Yona Rubinstein, 2007.
"Estimating Trade Flows: Trading Partners and Trading Volumes,"
NBER Working Papers
12927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rubinstein, Yona & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2008. "Estimating Trade Flows: Trading Partners and Trading Volumes," Scholarly Articles 3228230, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Yann Duval & Chorthip Utoktham, 2009.
"Behind the Border Trade Facilitation in Asia-Pacific: Cost of Trade, Credit Information, Contract Enforcement and Regulatory Coherence,"
6709, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Yann Duval & Chorthip Utoktham, 2009. "Behind-the-Border Trade Facilitation in Asia-Pacific: Cost of Trade, Credit Information, Contract Enforcement and Regulatory Coherence," Working Paper Series 209, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).
- Kaliappa Kalirajan & Swapan Bhattacharya, 2007. "Free Trade Arrangement Between India and Japan:An Exploratory Analysis," ASARC Working Papers 2007-09, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- David S. Jacks & Christopher M. Meissner & Dennis Novy, 2008. "Trade Costs, 1870-2000," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(2), pages 529-34, May.
- Anderson, James E, 1979. "A Theoretical Foundation for the Gravity Equation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 106-16, March.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Nicita, Alessandro, 2011.
"Trade Policy, Trade Costs, and Developing Country Trade,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(12), pages 2069-2079.
- Hoekman , Bernard & Nicita, Alessandro, 2008. "Trade Policy, Trade Costs, and Developing Country Trade," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4797, The World Bank.
- Mia Mikic & John Gilbert, 2007. "Trade Statistics In Policymaking - A Handbook Of Commonly Used Trade Indices And Indicators," STUDIES IN TRADE AND INVESTMENT, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), number tipub2491, October.
- Yuriy Gorodnichenko & Linda L. Tesar, 2009. "Border Effect or Country Effect? Seattle May Not Be So Far from Vancouver After All," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 219-41, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esc:wpaper:6409. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yann Duval)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.