Sovereign Credit Default Swaps and the Macroeconomy
The aim of this study is to determine whether the domestic interest rate or the exchange rate affect the sovereign credit default swaps. To date most studies on corporate CDS markets have emphasised the importance of domestic factors such as the interest rate. But with the sovereign CDS market, the international environment also needs to be incorporated into any analysis. Using a VAR and Granger non-causality tests, the results suggest that it is the exchange rate that has the most important effect on sovereign CDS markets, with domestic interest rates having only a marginal effect.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Claverton Down, Bath BA2 7AY|
Phone: +44 (0)1225 383799
Fax: +44 (0)1225 323423
Web page: http://www.bath.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Granger, Clive W.J. & Huang, Bwo-Nung & Yang, Chin W., 1998.
"A Bivariate Causality between Stock Prices and Exchange Rates: Evidence from Recent Asia Flu,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt9bk607p6, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Granger, Clive W. J. & Huangb, Bwo-Nung & Yang, Chin-Wei, 2000. "A bivariate causality between stock prices and exchange rates: evidence from recent Asianflu," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 337-354.
- Skinner, Frank S. & Townend, Timothy G., 2002. "An empirical analysis of credit default swaps," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 297-309.
- Fabozzi, Frank J. & Cheng, Xiaolin & Chen, Ren-Raw, 2007. "Exploring the components of credit risk in credit default swaps," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 10-18, March.
- Frank Skinner & Antonio Diaz, 2002. "An Empirical Study of Credit Default Swaps," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2003-04, Henley Business School, Reading University, revised Jan 2003.