A Comparison of Two Alternative Monetary Approaches to Exchange Rate Determination over the Long-Run
The aim of this paper is to compare the conventional monetary model of the exchange rate with an alternative model, which incorporates a stock price measure and is based on Friedman?s money demand function. These models are then compared using data from the UK, Canada and the USA, applying the Autoregressive Distributed Lag (ARDL) Bounds testing approach and the Phillips-Hansen approaches to cointegration. Although the results from the conventional monetary model are poor, the version which includes stock prices produces evidence of a long-run relationship, which has more appropriate long-run coefficients than the conventional model.
Volume (Year): 1 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Sairler Sokak, No:32/C, Gaziosmanpasa, Ankara, Turkey|
Phone: + 90 312 447 51 95
Fax: + 90 312 447 51 95
Web page: http://www.era.org.tr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 1997.
"Foreign Speculators and Emerging Equity Markets,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
79, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- John M. Griffin & Federico Nardari & René M. Stulz, 2004. "Are Daily Cross-Border Equity Flows Pushed or Pulled?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(3), pages 641-657, August.
- Bruce Morley, 2007. "The monetary model of the exchange rate and equities: an ARDL bounds testing approach," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(5), pages 391-397.
- Granger, Clive W.J. & Huang, Bwo-Nung & Yang, Chin W., 1998.
"A Bivariate Causality between Stock Prices and Exchange Rates: Evidence from Recent Asia Flu,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt9bk607p6, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Granger, Clive W. J. & Huangb, Bwo-Nung & Yang, Chin-Wei, 2000. "A bivariate causality between stock prices and exchange rates: evidence from recent Asianflu," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 337-354.
- Friedman, Milton, 1988. "Money and the Stock Market," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(2), pages 221-245, April.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Anthony Richards, 2004.
"Big Fish in Small Ponds: The Trading Behaviour and Price Impact of Foreign Investors in Asian Emerging Equity Markets,"
RBA Research Discussion Papers
rdp2004-05, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Richards, Anthony, 2005. "Big Fish in Small Ponds: The Trading Behavior and Price Impact of Foreign Investors in Asian Emerging Equity Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(01), pages 1-27, March.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Fratzscher, Marcel & Rigobon, Roberto, 2005.
"Stocks, bonds, money markets and exchange rates: measuring international financial transmission,"
Working Paper Series
0452, European Central Bank.
- Michael Ehrmann & Marcel Fratzscher & Roberto Rigobon, 2011. "Stocks, bonds, money markets and exchange rates: measuring international financial transmission," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(6), pages 948-974, 09.
- Michael Ehrmann & Marcel Fratzscher & Roberto Rigobon, 2005. "Stocks, Bonds, Money Markets and Exchange Rates: Measuring International Financial Transmission," NBER Working Papers 11166, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth R. French & James M. Poterba, 1991.
"Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
3609, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- French, Kenneth R & Poterba, James M, 1991. "Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 222-226, May.
- Wickens, Michael R., 1996. "Interpreting cointegrating vectors and common stochastic trends," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 255-271, October.
- George Tawadros, 2001. "The predictive power of the monetary model of exchange rate determination," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 279-286.
- Mark, Nelson C. & Sul, Donggyu, 2001.
"Nominal exchange rates and monetary fundamentals: Evidence from a small post-Bretton woods panel,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 29-52, February.
- Nelson Mark & Donggyu Sul, 1998. "Norminal Exchange Rates and Monetary Fundamentals: Evidence from a Small Post-Bretton Woods Panel," Working Papers 98-19, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Rapach, David E. & Wohar, Mark E., 2002. "Testing the monetary model of exchange rate determination: new evidence from a century of data," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 359-385, December.
- Cassola, Nuno & Morana, Claudio, 2002.
"Monetary policy and the stock market in the euro area,"
Working Paper Series
0119, European Central Bank.
- Cassola, Nuno & Morana, Claudio, 2004. "Monetary policy and the stock market in the euro area," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 387-399, April.
- David O. Cushman, 2000. "The failure of the monetary exchange rate model for the Canadian-U.S. dollar," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(3), pages 591-603, August.
- Bill Francis & Iftekhar Hasan & James Lothian, 2001. "The monetary approach to exchange rates and the behaviour of the Canadian dollar over the long run," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(5), pages 475-481.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Boyle, Glenn W, 1990. "Money Demand and the Stock Market in a General Equilibrium Model with Variable Velocity," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 1039-1053, October.
- Massimo Caruso, 2006. "Stock market fluctuations and money demand in Italy, 1913-2003," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 576, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Groen, Jan J. J., 2000.
"The monetary exchange rate model as a long-run phenomenon,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 299-319, December.
- Jan J.J. Groen, 1998. "The Monetary Exchange Rate Model as a Long-Run Phenomenon," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 98-082/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Smith, C. E., 1992. "Stock markets and the exchange rate: A multi-country approach," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 607-629.
- Solnik, Bruno, 1987. " Using Financial Prices to Test Exchange Rate Models: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(1), pages 141-149, March.
- James Dow & Douglas W. Elmendorf, 1998. "The effect of stock prices on the demand for money market mutual funds," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1998-24, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Massimo Caruso, 2006. "Stock Market Fluctuations and Money Demand in Italy, 1913-2003," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 35(1), pages 1-47, 02.
- Groen, Jan J J, 2002. " Cointegration and the Monetary Exchange Rate Model Revisited," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 64(4), pages 361-380, September.
- Anders Rahbek & Rocco Mosconi, 1999. "Cointegration rank inference with stationary regressors in VAR models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(1), pages 76-91.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:erh:journl:v:1:y:2009:i:2:p:63-76. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. F. Cosar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.